Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scotkight

Spec sheets : Okna/ HiMark, Sunrise vanguard, Quantum 2?

scotkight
10 years ago

Does anyone have detailed spec sheets for the most suggested brands for new install (not retrofit) situations? Specific stuff including leakage, STC ratings, full lists of options, structural test results etc. Not just "Some of our windows are r-5" which is what most of the websites seem to contain.

Bad websites and little technical information available publicly, no matter how good the company and/or product, does not inspire confidence. I don't really care that you use 11 layers of something, what I want to know is the proven performance that I will see as a customer.

I know you all are very big supporters of these guys, and some of you seem to have great detailed answers, but I want to do my own research before going to see a sales person. Who, of course, are going to support whatever brand they are selling (again, no matter how good or not.)

Just to be clear, it isn't that I don't trust all of you faceless internet people, but I dont trust you all with $20k+ of my money ;) What I do trust is that you are steering me the right way and I am willing to put in the time/effort to research.

BTW: the two required numbers are the air leakage and the STC of the windows, as the other important numbers are mandated to be available in the end anyway. STC is a the tougher one to find though, with many saying "about 35." Which is not good enough since "about" means it hasn't been confirmed and won't be considered a failure if it is not achieved (given the right install and other characteristics). I want a true test of the relative sound blocking/absorbing characteristics of the window before I even consider it.

Comments (6)

• mmarse1
    10 years ago

Where are u located? I can tell you with confidence, all 3 are excellent windows.

• HomeSealed_WI
    10 years ago

scot, all of that info is indeed available, however you unfortunately will not find one easy source with all of the info. Okna and Himark have all of the relevant energy numbers (u-factor, air leakage, design pressure, etc) posted right on their website. If you want verifiable data rather than just trusting the pros that post here, you can get all of the thermal data from NFRC.org. For Structural data (Air leakage, dp, etc), you can request a structural data test report from each manufacturer (or from one of their dealers, as some manufacturers won't deal directly with consumers). On STC, that is something that you'll need to get in that manner as well.
    I'd confirm mmarsel's sentiments, that those are indeed elite choices that you are considering. Best of luck in you research, please feel free to post back with additional questions.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    10 years ago

Scot,

STC is a tougher one as the testing for it is very specific and resultantly expensive.

There are some good sites for sound attenuation and no double pane window (without some specialty glazing in either offset or laminated) will approach a 35 rating.

What are the noise concerns and how much blocking do you need to do?

http://www.stcratings.com/

Here is a link that might be useful: STC Ratings

• scotkight
    Original Author
    10 years ago

WoW: I haven't been able to give you all a call back today, but appreciate the help here too. Looking at a place near ashburn, so Dulles airport noise plus a nearby park.

I like real silence in my house, and while I'm never going to get that if a plane is flying overhead, I want to get it close. I was thinking about STC around 35 as a realistic and semi-affordable option, hence laminated glass in a good dual pane window setup. More than that seems extremely expensive.

BTW, to everyone else. Well aware these are top quality. Much like ferrari vs lambo vs aston martin, they are all great vehicles, but suited to different purposes. Gotta know the details to figure out which is right :)

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    10 years ago

Scot,

No worries. I didn't even know you were in our area.

We are here whenever you are ready to chat and if you call, ask for Eric and tell them I told you to.

• PRO
    Ultra Windows
    10 years ago

As WoW said, not all manufacturers have their windows specifically tested for STC ratings, so that may be a hard number to get firm on.

As to noise reduction, insulating the perimeter of windows with minimal expanding foam (rather than simply caulking them in) will have an impact.

Some manufacturers will alter the glass, to say âÂÂ" over 3/16" to give you slightly better noise blocking and it's typically not a big up charge.

You can't do better than Windows on Washington in the DC area. Great guy, top end products and professional installation.