Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
richard904

How do you install new windows without removing interior trim?

richard904
11 years ago

We are replacing 16 awning windows with 12 stationary awning windows and four that open. There is elaborate, high quality interior trim that has to be preserved. The current awning windows cannot be saved; they were custom built so the sash is screwed to the wood frame, and the frame is nailed to the rough opening, and of course the interior trim is nailed to the frame. We are not sure of all the details. The house and windows have weatherization problems such as water and wind intrusion.

In assembling proposals two contractors, who are experienced in window installs, have proposed doing the work from the outside, and not even removing the interior trim. Presumably they would just cut the nails holding the trim to any window parts. Since the rough opening would not be exposed from the interior, how is it even possible to do the proper flashing and caulking that the window makers (and everyone else in this world) recommend? How can this wholly be done from the outside? Are window replacement contractors so sophisticated that they have a means of doing all the proper weatherization in that way?

Two other contractors will disassemble and number the interior trim as needed to expose what they need to view. Also, the cost estimates from the contractors are not any less than the contractors who will do the disassembly. In fact one contractor for Marvin Ultimate awning windows is quoting me $700/opening labor alone for this type of exterior install. I emailed him twice to better explain the install, and I get verbal comments which I still do not understand, so of course my wallet is stilled locked in my safe.

Comments (3)