Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
huskerdee

Desperately need window advice

Huskerdee
11 years ago

We live in an older house with old Anderson windows and doors. They held up well and have been great windows but now need them both badly. A
Though impressed with Anderson quality the price is outrageous. We got estimates from them, Pella, and Champion. Since the estimates I have researched and researched. After reading these responses I am more confused. All windows seem to have good and bad reviews. In reading these responses I am more convinced that all windows have lovers and haters. Is there any good lasting windows that won't break the bank. We know cheap will result in cheap poor quality windows and are willing to spend decent money on them but without the outrageous gouging. Please help me locate decent windows. We live in western Iowa so have cold and hot weather. Some of the windows and doors will be in sun half a day. PLEASE help!

Comments (4)

• HomeSealed
    11 years ago

husker, you are correct that you'll find lovers and haters of every product. Often times, these are the people that sell the particular product, or its direct competitor ;)
    Since you mentioned Champion, I assume that vinyl is a material that you are considering? Each material (vinyl, wood, fiberglass, composites) has its own unique pros and cons, but if you are simply looking for the best "bang for the buck", it is very hard to beat premium vinyl. You'll generally get the best energy numbers, warranty, and price. A few products that are almost universally well regarded are Okna/HiMark, Sunrise, Softlite, Polaris, and Homeguard. When trying to determine quality and performance, take the salesperson's presentation with a grain of salt, and look at the actual performance ratings. U-value, Air infiltration, design pressure, etc are very much indicative of the overall quality of a given product.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    11 years ago

Opinions are like...you know...

Just kidding of course.

Research is your friend in this case. The more you do, the more confused you will be for a little bit, but rest assured, you will be the better for it.

Keep us posted as you get more quotes and you will certainly get all the feedback that you ask for.

• mecarp
    11 years ago

Hi when buying windows check the contract details very carefully! Some guarantees diminish with time and are relatively poor value.

Highly expensive windows would indicate quality, but I have seen very expensive windows that are just plain average quality and when installed, have not been fit correctly.

If it's plastic you are after check the extruded section sizes (larger are normally better). Check for thermal breaks in the window frame sections. Check the type of locks and catches for integrity. Do they use an espagnolette locking system with shoot bolts or simple espagnolette system. Are the fitting stainless steel or just coated mild steel. Check the sealed units in the frames are going to give you the best U value performance. A U value is, a numerical value indicating the transmittance of heat from inside to the outside. The lower the U value the less heat loss, so saving you money in the long term.

A good performing window can cost a lot less over it's life than a poor performing window. Price may play a part but the quality of the window and correctness of fitting are what is important. It's a very competitive market so get quotes, check contracts and window specifications and make an informed decision.

• mmarse1
    11 years ago

Agree, a high quality vinyl uPVC window is a much better investment than wasting money on some cheap plastic window..there is also fiberglass window options from Inline, Marvin infinity and composites from Starmark and Provia. Andersen Renewal is a composite that is mostly vinyl but it does have saw dust added to it .