Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
boberhalter

Can't decide between two options....

boberhalter
9 years ago

We are replacing 13 windows and a door wall. We had a handful of companies come out and quote, and I've narrowed it down to two options.

Option 1: Mezzo. Quote came in at $7700.

Option 2: Sunrise Standard Vinyl (not essentials) with foam filled frame, and including their top tier glass. Quote came in at $11,400.

Now, from all the research I've done, the sunrise is clearly the better window. So normally I'd be going that way without hesitation. However, there's a chance we'll be moving sometime in the next 3-5 years.

If we stayed in the house, the investment would be worth it. But with us potentially leaving, would that quality difference make that big of a difference in home value? How much of that do you suspect we'd "get back" upon selling?

Lastly, what's the general opinion... go with the cheaper option since we may leave, or bite the bullet and get the good stuff?

Comments (4)

• HomeSealed_WI
    9 years ago

A few thoughts (as shared on your other post):

-What about the installation company and installation quality? This should carry some heavy weight in your decision making process. At the price quoted for 13 windows and a door, I suspect that the Mezzo is being offered by either a "bargain type" outfit, or a small company without much overhead.

-Apples to apples comparison? You mention that the Sunrise is quoted with the top glass offering and some other add-ons. To better compare pricing, it would be advisable to remove some of those options.... And that is not to say that you should not get them, but it would offer a more level playing field in comparing price.

- Five years is not an insignificant amount of time. Furthermore, a planned five years often turns into seven, ten, or never (you know what they say about "the best laid plans..."). Point is, while you won't get a return on that price premium via energy savings in five years, a product of questionable quality can very well start showing signs of degradation in 5 years. If you were flipping this house in a year or less, it is certainly debatable as to whether anyone would know the difference. The longer that time goes, the larger that gap grows as far as a window still looking and operating like new, vs one that is already looking like you may want to think about replacement at some point soon. What was a selling feature for your home could become the opposite.

Lastly, based on my own personal experience with that manufacturer, it is simply not a line that I recommend. Is picking the most expensive window the wise choice in your situation, perhaps not. That said, you certainly want to make sure that the money you do spend is a wise investment. That Sunrise window is very good, and the pricing sounds like it falls in the reasonable range. If it is slightly above where you want to be, look into knocking off an option or two, or try getting another bid.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    9 years ago

Great feedback HomeSealed.

You nailed it and the installation comparison (although we know now they will be done by the same company) is paramount in the comparison.

• Marissa303
    9 years ago

If I were you I'd buy the second one. But it also depends on the amount of money that you can affort now.
    As for me I've heard that Sunrise are really good, and I don't know anything about Mezzo.

• toddinmn
    9 years ago

Wouldn't hurt to get a couple more bids.what other brands do you have available?