Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
laurajane02

Wood trim window hardware choice?

laurajane02
12 years ago

Hi there!

DH and I are buying aluminum-wood clad windows for our new build. There interior wood will be clear vertical grain fir, as will the trim surrounding the windows. I'm curious, what kind of metal hardware would look best with this style of window? ORB seems like the obvious choice, but I don't really like it and I'm worried about the finish wearing off. Thanks for your suggestions!

Comments (14)

• millworkman
    12 years ago

What style windows would these be? (casements, double hung, sliders, etc) I personally would go with Brushed Nickel or a Pewter if that were available.

• laurajane02
    Original Author
    12 years ago

We will have both casement and double hung windows. We will also have 5 sets of french doors. I do like both the brushed nickel and pewter finish (both are available). For an upscale post and beam house, which choice would be more appropriate?

• GulfBreezeWindows
    12 years ago

I like the brushed nikel or for darker, the oil rubbed bronze.

• HomeSealed
    12 years ago

I love the ORB. If it is real (not painted to look like it), it is a "living" finish that will change over time with skin oils etc, but that only adds character. I like the brushed nickel as well, but I do worry that it may be getting closer to the end of its popularity. Similar to polished brass in the 90's.

• laurajane02
    Original Author
    12 years ago

What about the pewter finish? What style of home does it suit?

I'll have to look into the ORB living finish. My MIL has kitchen knobs in ORB, and some have turned completely silver with use.

• GulfBreezeWindows
    12 years ago

I don't think Pewter really falls in the "style" of homes. The design is really what you are looking for.

I think pewter goes with darker cabinets and wood. Kind of classic look with the right hardware.

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

"There interior wood will be clear vertical grain fir, as will the trim surrounding the windows. "

Finished how?

In want color?

• laurajane02
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The photo below has window trim similar to what I'm planning, with no knots or wood grain pattern. I would also stain the trim a similar shade. What do you think for hardware?

• GulfBreezeWindows
    12 years ago

ORB or Satin Nickel, with modern tone styling.

• HomeSealed
    12 years ago

I agree with GBW. If you are going modern, the brushed nickel does go well with that, better than pewter I think. ORB could go either way depending on the hardware style.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    12 years ago

+3 for ORB with that lighter color wood.

• laurajane02
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the votes for the ORB. I do like the finish after seeing it in person. However, I recently visited a newly built house with the same windows that we are considering. The windows looked great, but some of the ORB door handles had visible chips in the finish.

For some reason, I think that there would be less risk of this happening with either a pewter or satin nickel finish? I want my hardware to last and retain it's finish despite frequent use.

I guess I'm leaning towards pewter. Would a pewter finish be more hardy?

• Oaktown
    10 years ago

laurajane02, in case you are still checking, would you mind sharing what finish you selected?

And for everyone, we would love any opinions/suggestions on a a similar decision we're trying to make now -- we also will have CVG fir interiors on the windows (clear or very light stain), but they will be french casement, more traditional than the photo example posted above. We're looking at ORB, antique brass, and satin nickel. Would satin nickel be too modern? Thanks for any input.

• Karateguy
    10 years ago

I recommend that you change your focus to product quality over appearance.

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County