Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
psyohe

Anyone have Tilt and Turn windows?

Peke
11 years ago

Does anyone have the European Tilt and Turn windows in the U.S.? They look wonderful and energy efficient, but I can't seem to find them in aluminum in Oklahoma. I found vinyl and horribly expensive aluminum/clad wood windows.

We had vinyl windows in our last home that started failing within 5 years. They always fixed them for free since they had a 20 year warranty, but they still should not have failed. So we are wary of more vinyl windows.

Does anyone have any experience with them?

Here is a link showing what they look like:
http://dornob.com/state-side-secret-ingenious-european-tilt-turn-windows/

Comments (84)

• millworkman
    8 years ago

No just that your speaking about installed pricing and including you email as a signature. While other tout their product your essentially promoting your self which to me a essentially spam. Maybe I am incorrect in my thinking, and as far as contradicting me, I could care less and truthfully most any pro on here will tell you the same thing a QUALITY T&T will be about the most expensive window out there. I never stated what that price would be, did I? And truthfully this post was 2 years old until your Canadian counterpart Delco signed up to spam the page.

• PRO
    Green Window & Door Inc.
    8 years ago

Well, the TNT discussion is helpful in 2015 and comes up in searches so... I put my email in case anyone wanted to contact me. And I believe the rarity of TNT windows means some people are gouging. But hey, if you want me to delete it let me know. No problem.

• fridge2020
    8 years ago

@deluxe, giving a price and your email address does come off as very spammy. No problem with providing information relevant to the discussion, and if people like what you have to say, they can simply click your profile. Just a thought

• transnationalq
    8 years ago

Here is a question on the TnT windows which I really hope somone on here can answer. We're in New England and most everyone tends to (needs to) have mosquito screens on their windows and deck doors. We're looking at updating about 20 windows in this house we're buying - a colonial from 1900 - which currently hosts the typical double hung styles. We ideally want to go triple glaze to help with street noise (its a corner plot) and of course the heating!

Is it possible to combine the two? TnT windows with a mosquito screen of sorts? We're also a bit semi rural with open land with a pond nearby (100ft or so?)... mosquito-fest!

• PRO
    Green Window & Door Inc.
    8 years ago

Here's a company that knows (i.e. sells TnT) and makes a wide array of screens as well (and no, I have no affiliation with them 'm..' & 'f..' except maybe as a competitor) . http://flexascreens.com/

• homepro01
    8 years ago

Transnationalq,

I am having my windows custom made and the window maker will install the pull down screens like Phantom screens on the inside of the unit. Pretty much all European Tilt and Turn manufacturers offer the screens as options. Which window manufacturer were you considering?

• transnationalq
    8 years ago

I spoke to Zola European Windows - but its very early planning stage at the moment. How much were you quoted? I need to replace about 20 double hung windows.

• homepro01
    8 years ago

I spoke to Zola too. The pricing for their windows were similar to Intus. The cost of shipping should be factored into your quote. The shipping usually comes in roughly around $4k for intus and Zola. They had really beautiful windows. I was interested in triple pane windows, tilt turn with screens. The wood windows were roughly $1000 a window (36" x 48"). I am replacing ten windows and two exterior doors and went with a custom builder also.

Intus UPVC was a lot cheaper at about $600 a window but the wood windows were on par with Zola.

Are you in the Northeast? if so, you may want to reach out to Duratherm and Linwood Windows. There are quite a few other choices to look at too.

• transnationalq
    8 years ago

Thank you homepro01! Looking at triple glazed, tilt n turn with mosquito nets. With 20 Windows....at 1000 each, it's going to be quite an investment!

What about installation? How did that price out?

• dekeoboe
    8 years ago

I am having my windows custom made and the window maker will install the pull down screens like Phantom screens on the inside of the unit.

Will these Phantom screens work when the window is in the tilt position or only when the window is opened? Our TNT windows have the screen on the outside.

• homepro01
    8 years ago

Dekeoboe,

They are on the outside! Sorry about that typo.

Transnationalq,

My installation is part of a wall rebuild. When I first priced it out, it was about $400 a window and additional $150 a window if the lintel needed to be rebuilt. Since then, an energy retrofit and soundproofing will be done in the wall so the wall replacement includes more than the window. I would advise you to really consider Intus and price to value is great. Schucco also has a value priced uPVC unit on the US market. I really did not want wood originally but with all the options I chose, wood was not significantly expensive. Intus did offer the triple pane sound proof glass too but once I chose a color the price climbed almost 40%. The one issue I had with Intus was the choice of handles. I went with a more contemporary handle from Functional Fenestration. I remember that the price did not include the screens from Intus. I think it was something they were still working on but recommended some local vendors who could build stationary screens from their windows. That may have changed in the last 6months. The main reason I did not select Intus, was the exterior doors that I needed to purchase too.

Good luck!

• transnationalq
    8 years ago

Thank you homepro01 - I will definitely look in to Intus. Are you in the NorthEast by any chance? Did you use a contractor recommended by the window company, or find one yourself? How did it go?

• homepro01
    8 years ago

Transnationalq,

I am in the Northeast. The contractor that I am using has installed European style windows in my area and was actually referred to me by Intus. The windows are just getting shipped. We should be installing them by the end of August. I can't wait:-)

Good luck!

• transnationalq
    8 years ago

Hello there homepro01!

We just bought a house! Yay! Now, to get serious about all those windows. They're going to have to be custom built because its an old house with most windows being a little off here n there in measurements.

How did you get on with the installation? Is it all done?

• homepro01
    8 years ago

Hey Transnatinalq,

Congrats on your closing.

Still waiting in my windows. They are tied to a door order that is awaiting the door lock fromGermany. Don't ask how this got so out of hand:-). I can be the queen of over engineering. I am waiting for some pictures from the builder. I hope the windows are here by late September. Installation should be done by October.

I would not worry about the odd sizes, get a food window company and contractor and many of the sizes can be standardized.

Welcome to the window research process:-)

• transnationalq
    8 years ago

Did you say went with Intus in the end? I spoke to Duratherm today and they have a delivery lead time of months at the moment. :-/ Can I ask where you heard of Duratherm and Linwood?

• homepro01
    8 years ago

Transnationalq,

I did not go with Intus. I went with a custom European window builder in Colorado. I heard about him, Duratherm and Linwood on the Greenbuilding forums. They build mainly passivehaus compatible windows. Also, several bloggers had investigated windows for zero energy home and I learned about Intus and Shcuco.

The reason I did not go with Intus was related to their doors. I wanted to order windows and doors together. Also, it was hard to justify the cost of shipping. I could spend that on the windows and doors:-)

I will say that the months fly by! By the time you make all the decisions, hardware, triple pane, higher stc (sound proofing), coating, window depth, Tilt Turn, Tilt only, Tilt Turn and Vent, pull down screens, where to put the alarm sensors, electronic tinting, etc. I told you this got out of hand:-)

• transnationalq
    8 years ago

Oh boy! That does sound like a lot of decisions. I'm feeling awkward asking about it (since you've mentioned all names but his) but could you share the name of your custom builder? I'm trying to get as much homework done as possible on this.

We also need two doors - one for the front and one larger one to the deck.

• homepro01
    8 years ago

Sent you a PM transnational.

• transnationalq
    8 years ago

Just an update for anyone interested, Duratherm works out around 92$/sq.ft and Zola advised they are in the 35-40$/sq.ft range.

Haven't been able to talk to Intus yet.

A local builder recommends Harvey Triple pane Tribute windows which work out 25K for 25 windows installed complete with all the work needed for removal, diposal etc. The U value is supposedly 0.19 but I need to request more information if that is Ug or Uw value stated. Most likely it is Ug. Also, I did note that the Harveys and Pellas have generally two sealed panes and a third spaced pane which isn't truly a triple glazed window as known in Europe. They do use Krypton between the panes though as opposed to Argon which may help to bring down Ug. I'm unaware of the other details eg; R value or SHGC. I'll be learning and adding more.

• transnationalq
    8 years ago

Just to add, after pursuing a bit more, I am impressed with the numbers on paper from the Harvey Tribute triple pane windows but am at the same time keen to hear if anyone has used them and their thoughts. I'm including a link to their brochure below.

http://www.harveybp.com/upload/products/literature/Harvey_Tribute_Brochure.pdf

Perhaps the low VT is the only undesirable number. Comments please!

• PRO
    A.W. Perkins Co.
    8 years ago

We are currently renovating a circa 1920 cottage in Vermont and have the Intus wood windows with screens. The construction quality is beyond comparison to most windows in the same price range. The sash is over 3" thick with weatherproofing details that exceeded any others we looked at. U stats, infiltration and DP ratings were best in class. As explained to us the long term U is kept lower as the Ar is not injected between panes as most companies do (which allows Ar to escape over 10-20 years). Instead the IG units are built in an Ar filled chamber. Installation straightforward with Intus supplied clips and Siga tapes. Here is a picture right after install on our porch. Maine Green Building in Portland handled the ordering details and installation advice. If time allows (3-4 months from sign off to delivery) Intus is an outstanding choice.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    8 years ago

Didn't know they made a wood window. What was the shipping time like?

• transnationalq
    8 years ago

A. W. Perkins - I do love the specs on Intus. Particularly the high VT @0.70 with an SHGC of 0.46 which I can live with I think. It'll be nice to feel the warmth in the winter but not sure what summer will be like. On the other hand, external or internal shades can help fix that to some extent.

What're the installation costs/window? And what was the delivery time line?

I see you are using the simulated grid options - would you care to share the cost/window with those? You can PM if that is better. Where I'm in love with the look of the simulated grids and horizontal divider the cost we've been quoted so far makes it fall out of our range. *heart break*

• transnationalq
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Also, your job there looks like a complete makeover with having them fitted as new windows rather than replacements. Is that correct?

A bit concerned about how much space they'll take as replacements. I don't want to end up with rather narrow looking windows.

• PRO
    8 years ago

Are those VT numbers they are quoting you on the total unit or glass only? If they are on total unit, they must be looking at a clear glass unit. The VT on double pane clear glass is only about 0.82 and you would loose at least 0.10 - 0.15 VT points to the frame and sash operators. The picture above is of a complete replacement vs. insert. Given the complete renovation tag, that section is new construction so there was no removal type at all there.

• transnationalq
    8 years ago

So, WoW, to answer your question, I was told that with Intus, just because they are so massive and solidly built that you don't need to go low e coatings unless you really want to lose heat from the sun. The glass is 4mm thick. You have an assembly of 4mm glass, 20mm gap filled with Argon, 4mm glass, 18mm gap filled with Argon and then another 4mm glass. Thats how they keep the VT high and the SHGC a bit more mid range.

I had an installer come in to discuss the replacement window situation and where I seriously love the specs and hardware on these, there are two downfalls.

1 - Loss of visible glass. Okna has a thinner profile I think but Intus would eat more in to the visible glass. DO NOT want to lose more glass.

I'd be very happy to be recommended a great carpenter who can install these windows without turning it into a complete new window job and ripping open both inside and outsides.

2 - No safety lock on the windows. There is just a handle. Not even a thumb press that would somewhat reduce the risk of children being able to just twist the window open.

Things OKNA has in favour :

- Cost. - A major factor in decision making

- Slim profile - Won't eat up as much visible glass

- Short delivery time

Things I don't like about OKNA:

- Low VT and SHGC - I don't want to lose heat gain from winter sun.

- The exterior finish isn't as smooth as one would hope for.

• homepro01
    8 years ago

Tilt turn handles can have locks. See page Page from Functional Fenestration. The Intus handles can be replaced with these.

• PRO
    8 years ago

Low-e has nothing to do with the sturdiness of the window. Was Intus really say that is why they don't recommend Low-e? That is silly. There is no reason, zero, why you would replace a window and not use Low-e. As compared to clear glass, you are only loosing about 10% on the glass. For the fuel savings alone, there is no reason not to use Low-e. Trust me, I have had clients that absolutely do not like the green-grayish tint...but they get over it.

For the sake of comparison, the Low-e glass (as long as it is 2 coat Low-e like Cardinal 272 and Guardian 7138), is only going to cost you 10% VT over clear glass and even less as compared to the Intus window given the thicker frame profile on that window.

Unless you home is specifically orientated and set up (South facing, thermal mass, etc.) to take advantage of passive solar, you are loosing way...way more through the non-Low-e windows than you would ever get from a clear glass window. Good read on window performance by region: http://escholarship.org/uc/item/5p95w76m#page-1

• transnationalq
    8 years ago

Ok, I agree. That's the response I got and didn't really get how it fitted my question but I'll just say I probably didn't probe more because I really didn't like the brownish tint in the Okna - lol, the most likely choice we'll go with since I've had no luck with others so far.

Having said that, the Pella 350 did not look very dissimilar to the Okna 500 in terms of features and finishes. Except perhaps the spacer. Ok, and only one space being gas sealed.

• transnationalq
    8 years ago

Thank you for the link to the study WoW.

I think I have reached the conclusion that IDEALLY I am still trying to find a product that will give high VT at least 0.6, more is better. Low U factor - under 0.2, and moderate SHGC upto 0.46 would be acceptable. Heat gains in summer can be minimised through window treatments, or rollers etc.

I haven't yet found that magical window which fits the budget and these requirements - anyone else know a product that comes close?

Below is an orientation of our house.

• PRO
    8 years ago

it doesn't exist in this case. If a window is going to be sub-0.20 U-factor it is going to have Low-e and likely multiple surfaces. If that is the case, the VT won't be 0.60. The VT of a clear glass window with double pane is only going to be in the 0.60 - 0.65 range. No way a clear glass window gets you into the 0.20 U-Factor range or even close. A triple pane, clear glass window, would still be in the 0.5 VT ranges.

• nadineannaellie
    7 years ago

This whole subject makes me a little sad. I'm from Germany and I can't believe how expensive these windows are over here. Being used to the T&T windows I was really hoping we would be able to install these when we built our house but with these prices I don't think this is going to happen over here. The quality in house building in general is very different from the stone houses I know from back home...you definitely don't get much quality for your money....

• homepro01
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Nadine,

Have you priced out Intus Windows? I found them really reasonable at about $45 / sq.ft for the uPVC frames. The lynch pin is the price of shipping from Europe to the US. There are a few others like Klearwall and Zola too.

Good luck!

• nadineannaellie
    7 years ago

Thank you for the info, I will definitely look into it!

• PRO
    Kaclik Builders
    7 years ago

Paradigm Windows in Portland Maine now make Tilt and Turn windows

• galore2112
    7 years ago

I imported my tilt turn windows from Austria directly from the manufacturer. The VAT refund almost paid for shipping to Dallas. I was in a similar predicament as Nadine but my experience was really smooth. I configured the windows online, received a quote, submitted the order and a down payment, contacted a freight company, freight company built a wooden crate, picked up the windows from the manufacturer (I paid the remainder) and shipped it to Dallas. Total cost was about 1/4 of what this would cost in the US and then the Austrian manufacturer used the latest technology which US tilt turn manufacturers don't have from what I've seen.

• oberon476
    7 years ago

what technology is that?

• First Last
    7 years ago

galore2112, would you mind telling who you worked with in Austria? It is ok to personal message me (I couldn't find how to respond to you directly though). Also when you did it, and what was the cost of both windows and shipping.

Thank you

• ktr689
    7 years ago

Hi First Last, I don't know how to send you message directly, I could also share some great tilt turn windows with you, costs and shipping ect, just don't know how to message you

• Carol K
    7 years ago

galore2112, I would love to know the name of the Austrian manufacturer, too.

• PRO
    Green Window & Door Inc.
    7 years ago

I take issue with what's said here is possible and what is not possible re: price or performance in a Tilt & Turn. However, earlier I was chastised for (I dunno) selling?. Look harder. For price & performance, Import your Tilt & Turns from Canada.

• desi_jensen
    7 years ago

@gallore2112 could you let me know the name of the Austria co

• galore2112
    7 years ago

I bought the Windows from https://www.rekord-fenster.com/

Sorry for answering so late. I haven't checked the Windows forum in a long time.

• German System Windows
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

@PenRiordan

Good afternoon Pen. We are a windows and doors company that sell high efficient tilt and turn windows. If you are interested and still looking feel free to contact us at otenzia@germansystemwindows.com and check out our website germansystemwindows.com .

• Windowmaster
    4 years ago

Tilt and turn look good in a tudor as long as the dimensions are correct. Ive installed them in the past from an obscure comoany. Pretty cool.

• Batgurl
    3 years ago

@Pen Riordan who did you end up using for your windows? doing some research for our home build project right now.

• Batgurl
    3 years ago

@galore2112 thanks for sharing information! i tried the link to the austrian window company but i could not find a way to change the language to English so I can actually navigate their website. Would like some more info please with how you coordinated all the other details (delivery, ordering, etc)..

• GGY
    last year
    last modified: last year

Sorry to see this so long after it posted.

About 20 years ago, in Oklahoma, my husband and I tried selling tilt/ turn windows. Our company was called Eurowindows & Doors and we installed them throughout our house - totally outfitted - when we lived in Edmond. Our front door what the traditional pin- security German door. We attended trade shows and made an earnest go of it, but I believe we were ahead of our time, particularly for Oklahoma. See, as an Army brat, I'd lived about a cumulative 13 years of my life in Germany and REALLY missed those windows.

We've since moved and left the window business behind, but I still love them and see that they're still pretty pricey and upscale. Still, I'm looking, too, to install them again into my future forever house. They're the best! Good luck!