Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone have Tilt and Turn windows?

Posted by Peke (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 29, 13 at 11:21

Does anyone have the European Tilt and Turn windows in the U.S.? They look wonderful and energy efficient, but I can't seem to find them in aluminum in Oklahoma. I found vinyl and horribly expensive aluminum/clad wood windows.

We had vinyl windows in our last home that started failing within 5 years. They always fixed them for free since they had a 20 year warranty, but they still should not have failed. So we are wary of more vinyl windows.

Does anyone have any experience with them?

Here is a link showing what they look like:
http://dornob.com/state-side-secret-ingenious-european-tilt-turn-windows/

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone have Tilt and Turn windows?

I put vinyl tilt/turns in my daughters house.

Her windows are triple pane, U-value .17 - .19, DP 100, and AI .003 CFM (all tested values of course).

If I were ever to build again, I would be using tilt/turns everywhere possible.

What sort of problems did you experience with your vinyl windows?

o

Used them on several project.

Love them and would use them in my home if they were due for replacement.

o

Can you give me an estimate per window? How much more are they than double hung windows? I guess they are more expensive because not many people make them or you have to order from Germany.

So is that a good U Value? and all those other letters! LOL

What is the climate like where you live? Winters? Summers?

The part that goes between each glass started rippling up. The company replaced it several times...free. Still we had to take off work to let them in.

How do I know if the Oklahoma company makes a good product? Is there anything special I should look for? (Other than looking at the seams matching and workmanship.) I don't know about U values and such. The company is in Fairview, Oklahoma. Tiltandturnwindowsfairview I think. I will see what info I can get from them.

Thanks,
Peke

o

We have Germany tilt and turn windows in our house. Ours are made by HOCO, triple pane and they are a brown vinyl. We are in NC though, so I don't know anything about the OK company.

o

Aluminum? Hmmmm, probably not, anywhere. If you could find them they might not be much of an advantage over the pricey wood clad you wrote about.
I don't know about OK but aluminum went the way of bias ply tires and ash trays around here.

o

Where do you come up with this stuff jump?

o

Well, we have this huge company that makes thermally broken aluminum windows so I guess people here still use them. They are expensive though. Oklahoma has such high and low temp changes that doesn't seem to do well. We had high condensation with aluminum as much as we did with vinyl windows.

I did find aluminum tilt and turn doors (yes, doors!) , but they are way too expensive.

We found aluminum tilt and turn doors too and I really want them....but at $5000 each....not in my budget.

So can anyone give me a ballpark figure?

Peke

o

I would not even fathom giving you a ballpark price. Tilt & Turns are not a commodity type window and not sold everyday due to their uniqueness and overall limited usage to higher end homes. The pricing from what I recall is pretty much all over the place and mostly sold as an installed product by higher end window companies as they are a little more complex on the installation. That being said I have found this to be true in the L.I. market and may not be true all over.

o

My daughter's windows were priced very competitively with an above average wood window (not tilt/turn wood window, those can be expensive).

I agree with millworkman that pricing can be all over the place, but with the lowest pricing still not being particularly inexpensive.

These windows are definitely a specialized product in North America, but it's a growing market and as popularity increases availability should increase.

Also as millworkman mentioned, while installation is critical with any window, with tilt/turns it can be a little more detailed than you find with other window styles.

o

Thank you. We are visiting the Oklahoma company next weekend to see how their windows look. What kind of U Value or whatever should I look for?

Peke

o

You can get U-Values of sub 0.20 out of triple pane windows with argon fills. Get into the more expensive Krypton and the go down in the mid teens (0.15s).

Go with an exotic multilayer/film glass and they go even further down.

o

Thank you all for your help. I truly wish I could afford the tilt and turn french doors...they would be wonderful looking out to our deck.

I will be looking for more tilt and turn windows for sure.

Peke

o

oberon, what brand of 3windows did you use?

o

Innotech, out of Vancouver,BC

o

Well, I haven't been to see the Oklahoma windows yet. They are 3 hours away and I have to make an appointment to visit the showroom on Saturday. Will post when I have more information. Peke

o

I am also in oklahoma and interested in tilt and turn windows.Did you get them? I am looking at marvin windows.

o

The Marvin units are excellent... Just be prepared to sell your first born to pay for them, lol. Quoted some out the other day and holy cow, talk about sticker shock! ... That said, if money is no object, they are very, very nice.

o

The three that I have seen are Unilix, Tischler, and Marvin. The first two are German manufacturers and both are beautiful. The Marvins are very nice but i dont think they are quite as good as the German lines, especially Tischler. They are all priced very high although the Marvins should be much less. If you go woth Tilt turns just remember that they take up a lot of wall space when opened.

o

How do they take up allot of wall space? They are basically an inswing casement with a tilt feature.

o

I think he means that you need to provide a swing path fro them so you can put stuff near them.

o

OK, I guess I can see that, and thinking about it the office I worked had 10" deep walls so they would not clear the returns anyway.

o

2 tilt and turns to fit a 48" w by 36" ht was a whopping $1200.00 just for the window. Plus installation. This was from the Oklahoma company. They said it would be $1000+ to install it.

Looks like no tilt and turns for me!

Peke

o

Surprised you expected less!! This type of window is a complex unit as it opens multiple ways which means special hardware ad is one of the most expensive type window available.

o

I think the installation cost was what floored me!
Peke

o

Installation can be tricky without experience with T&T's and we do not know anything at all about your existing conditions.

o

If that is a wood pocket set, that is a bit steep to put it mildly.

More details will help get you some more feedback about the numbers.

o

No it is just a vinyl tilt and turn. Peke

o

By wood pocket, I was meaning more so what type of window was being removed.

o

oh sorry. aluminum frames are in now. I only have 2 windows in the whole house which open. We have 7 floor to ceiling picture windows (77 by 81") downstairs that I want to replace. I want to open the windows. I am leaning toward thermally broken aluminum which are about $500.00 per window.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here