Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
doggydoc_gw

Gorell 5100 or Sunrise- opinion of brands

Doggydoc
11 years ago

So these are the 2 dealers in my area, no Okna. I like the slim frame look of both of these windows. The Sunrise warranty looks outstanding. Just wanted to get ya'lls opinion of the better quality window out of these 2.

Comments (8)

• HomeSealed
    11 years ago

I think that the base Sunrise is very comparable to the 5100, although I might give it a slight nod (Sunrise). If otoh, you are looking at a higher line of Sunrise (Vanguard, Restorations, etc) I would prefer it more decisively.
    If they are both the base models, pick the contractor that you feel will do a better job/provide a better value. Installation s very importatnt after all.

• mmarse1
    11 years ago

Agree as long as its not sunrise essentials in which case the 5100 clearly gets the nod

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    11 years ago

+2

I think the Sunrise is a better looking window than the 5100 but they are both solid performers.

• Doggydoc
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes the sunrise is a. Good looking product. Will get my estimate back tommorrow and make a decision. I noticed gorell allows you to change the size of the lower sash on their double hungs to be bigger than the upper sash. Do y'all know if this costs more for that option. And can sunrise do the same? Thanks for all the help.

• HomeSealed
    11 years ago

Cottage style is an option that is available through most window manufacturers, and there is always an up charge.

• Karateguy
    11 years ago

Fine product, but i've heard some recent controversy about Gorell and Softlite, and the way that they are covering warranties. Not a recommendation one way or the other, but I'd do some research on that.
    -KG

• mmarse1
    11 years ago

A gorell warranty is a non issue if the windows are purchased now since soft lite honors the warranty 100% .
    What's so controversial about that "karate guy". Who gave you that info, Bruce Lee ?

• Karateguy
    11 years ago

Sorry if I ruffled any feathers mrmorsel. In my own extensive research for a window purchase, I came across that information on this site and others as well. I saw several past customers that posted about not having their warranties honored since Softlite purchased them, and they raised questions about the type of company that would take on the good name and customer base of another company, but leave them out in the cold on warranty. There was some discussion on current dealers warranty versus others, etc. I don't know all of the gritty details, I just thought it was worth some investigation for anyone considering the product, whether the concern has legs or not. Personally, I'm rather sensitive to these types of issues and how they could potentially translate to the type of service that one can expect down the road.
    -KG