Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
psyohe

Need help with french doors or windows

Peke
11 years ago

I have to replace floor to ceiling windows that do not open. I thought about double french doors since they open to the deck. I have 2 windows, but we are thinking about adding a 3rd. We have such a great view! Plus it seems like we need a 3rd window because it doesn't look right with 2 huge windows and a large blank wall. You can see the insulation where we want to put the other window/door.

This is an east view out the window. We live in SE Oklahoma so we don't get a whole lot of uninterrupted cold weather. We could have 2 weeks of ice storm, then 80 degree weather or 20 degrees one day and 80 the next. Last year no snow. So far none this year.

So...we need insulating doors or windows. Morning sun in those windows with large overhanging eaves, but we still need good windows for insulation.

We worry about the energy efficiency of french doors. Would 3 sets of double french doors be overkill for that room? It is about 20 x 35 and joins our living room which is 30 x 35..which joins our kitchen which is 15 x 25. So it almost looks like one huge room.

So any advice on which windows or doors? All french doors or 1 door and the rest windows? Height of windows? The door openings could be 76.5" by 81" tall.

Money is tight since we need to finish the kitchen remodel first. We are hoping to have money left over for the doors or windows.

Thanks for your help! Peke
Hope the pictures show up!

Comments (33)

• Peke
    Original Author
    11 years ago

All 3 window possibilities.

• Peke
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The vertical blinds are in the way, but all 3 windows will be the same size. Any suggestions? Peke

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    11 years ago

I wouldn't put a window right next to a door for lack of agreement sake.

If you are going to put a door there, you can put a slab in the other inoperable locations.

Not many doors available in a sealed triple pane but given the temperature extremes, it would be a benefit.

• Peke
    Original Author
    11 years ago

We thought maybe windows flanking either side, but not all the way to the floor.

What about 3 french doors that open out to the pool area?

Peke

• Peke
    Original Author
    11 years ago

bump

• window_mike
    11 years ago

While it will certainly up the price, a great option would be to create one opening and put in a lift and Slide or a bi-fold door.

• Peke
    Original Author
    11 years ago

We thought of that. It would look great, but our contractor told us we would have to put a beam in. We have already put three in and they took a lot of our budget.

So we have to keep the 6" posts in between each window. I doubt we would ever really have all three french doors open at one time so windows might be a good idea on either side of the french door. I doubt we would want a sliding door so it would have to be a french door.

So what height windows should we put in on the left and right of the french door? Floor to ceiling? Shorter windows? I do want the windows to open up. I hate having only picture windows here.

We have 3 other floor to ceiling picture windows to the left in our bedroom. We plan on replacing them too. So whatever we decide for the living room windows we would need to match in our bedroom. So shorter windows might be better.

Any thoughts? Thanks, Peke

• Peke
    Original Author
    11 years ago

So do I have to get an ADA door sill? The floor in the room is about 10-12" higher than the concrete outside on the pool deck anyway. No way for a wheelchair to go through.

So will it still leak? Should I open french door in or out? What about windows on the left and right of a french door?

Here is a picture of the outside. You can see that it needs another window or door on the left. It just doesn't look right. Eventually the old siding will be replaced so we thought we would do windows first so we can get some air flow. There is a pool gate by the stairs between the picture window and the blank open space where I think a window/door needs to go. The horrible door with the boarded up doggy door will be gone. That area on the inside will make a coat closet. I do not have one currently. So I will need a french door to the outside.

Please help with any advice you have. Thanks, Peke

• Peke
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is the rest of the house with the master bedroom windows. They will need to be replaced to match whatever I do for the living room windows. There is a door that you cannot see on the right of the bay windows on the north side of the house.

Help! Thanks, Peke

• Peke
    Original Author
    11 years ago

bump

• PRO
    11 years ago

Plan on cutting back the siding and installed a new construction window in this application.

No reason that whatever window or door combination you go with there should leak. You have an overhang as well as a good height off the deck.

• Peke
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Windowsonwashington, Thank you. I forgot to ask about new construction or replacement. I was hoping to use a new construction window or door.

I have more questions!

1. To make the exterior look more balanced, should I put a window or french door on the blank wall on the left by the stairs? The stairs go to the lake/water's edge.

2. Should I put a window on the left by the stairs, then a french door in the middle then another window on the right of the french door? Or should I just put in 3 french doors?

3. Should I open the french doors in or out?

4. One Therma Tru french door with multi point locking will cost us $1800-2000 with full view glass and Low E. Is that a good door? A good price?

Thanks,
    Peke

• PRO
    11 years ago

I like the consistency of all doors.

The ThermaTru unit is a solid door and that seems like a fair price for a large unit.

• Peke
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Washington, thanks for your advice. Should we put a window only in the first picture where the blank wall is on the left of the gate/concrete stairs?

Peke

• Peke
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I forgot to say that we were wanting a door or window in that location so we could look at the dock to check it out. Our current windows do not let us see the dock. Peke

• PRO
    11 years ago

You can or see if you can get a deadlite panel in the same extrusion as the door.

It will have to be tempered already and the same extrusion will help it match the consistency of the look.

• Peke
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, we are going with tempered glass for sure.

Thanks for your help. Now I need to find which french door to get.

Peke

• PRO
    10 years ago

Good luck and keep the thread up to date with pictures.

• Peke
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is what I have found so far.

Therma-Tru- double french door. $3000. + shipping $???

Provia- double french door fiberglass- $$$$$$$ too high for me.

Tiltco- E70 double french door Tilt and Turn UPVC/Steel $2000-2200. Shipping $800-1000.00. + screen $????

Solar Innovations- SI7251. Thermally Broken aluminum tilt and turn door with 1 inactive door. $2236.00 + screen $900 + shipping $800.

Bravo- PVC tilt and turn door $2500.00 + shipping $800-1000.

Bravo- Aluminum clad/wood tilt and turn french door $3200.00 + screen $800. + shipping $800-1000. But they will not ship only 1.

Bede- Tilt and turn aluminum french door. $????

Innotech- sells to West coast. No one to repair where I live.

SorpetalerUSA- Tilt and turn french door. $????

HH Tilt and turn doors- $????

Eco Choice Tilt and turn doors- $????

Deceuninck- tilt and turn doors- $????

Thermal Windows DFW- Fiberglass, aluminum thermal break, PVC tilt and turn windows, but no doors. If they can make a window, they should be able to make a door. Can have 1 color on inside and another on outside. That interests me. $????

Inline Fiberglass tilt and turn doors #301. $????

Intus UPVC tilt and turn doors. $????

Atlantic mfg tilt and turn door- UPVC $?????

These are all I have found for now. Will update as I get more estimates. Maybe it will help someone else who is looking for T & T doors.

Double French doors seem to be about the same price as Tilt and Turn double French doors so I thought I would look at them again.

Does anyone know about these companies or doors? Thanks, Peke

• Peke
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Clarification! Sometimes I think I say something and I didn't. Sometimes it's the other way.

Therma-Tru- french door 1800-2000 was for a 1 active and 1 inactive if I remember correctly. Plus tax & installation.

WindowsonWashington- I reread my post and your answers and I want to make sure I understand what you said.

For the picture windows we will use new construction windows?

If I am removing an old kitchen window, I need to use a replacement window? There is siding there too.

When would I want to use a new construction window like in my kitchen? When changing to larger size? or ?????

As usual, I appreciate all your advice. The teacher in me questions everything. Peke

• Peke
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Bump

• PRO
    10 years ago

You would use new construction on the kitchen window if you remove the siding and/or trim around the window enough so that you can install a window with a nailing flange.

Size has nothing to do with it if it is new construction or replacement.

If you are doing all this other work and the trim can be removed enough so that you can get a nailing flange window in there...do that.

• Peke
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Washington. I appreciate your help.

• patrickbuzacott
    10 years ago

The consistency of all the doors is noteworthy��"great work on that! However, IâÂÂm not too keen on the idea of using vertical blinds. Perhaps you should consider installing Window Frosting instead?

• PRO
    10 years ago

My advice to spammers....

• millworkman
    10 years ago

I love that cat!!!

• Peke
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Update... nothing decided.

I haven't found any Okna or Sunrise dealers in SE Oklahoma. I found two companies a couple of hours away. One sells Simonton and Softlite and another sells Hurd and Kolbe.

I do not want wood windows. Frankly, most people where I live buy from HD or L's. I will NOT buy from them. Pella, Anderson, and Jenn Weld are sold, but I am not happy with their products.

Tulsa, Oklahoma has a thermal window manufacturing company that makes aluminum thermally broken windows. I like the weight of their sliding glass doors and double hung windows. I also like that I have more viewing glass. Vinyl windows have better energy efficiency though.

The biggest issue is not letting summer heat in. Two months of $450.00 electric bills is way too expensive in July and August. Vinyl windows are looking better for that reason. But, realistically, will I see that much difference in the electric bill during the hottest months if I go with vinyl windows?

Another issue...I live a couple of hours away from ANY window dealer. I can't get companies to do installation for just one window and one sliding glass door. That is unrealistic to ask them to drive that far. So this means I will not have any "qualified" installers. I will have to find someone who can do framing and installation. Not so easy to find someone around here. That would also cut my warranty in half since I am not using the company's installers.

So either thermal broken aluminum or vinyl windows like Champion, Pella, Anderson with local installers?

Thermal broken aluminum window 4'x3'= $248.64 ($485.98 if installed.)

Thermal broken sliding glass door $1020.00.

I am leaning towards the aluminum because they sell a lot of them, more viewing glass, local company.

Thoughts?

Here is a link that might be useful: Thermal Windows

• Peke
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Titanium Low-e glass and argon in door and window.

Sliding glass door U factor .40. SHGC .32/.28
    VT2. .58/.51. Air infiltration .12.

Double hung. U factor .43. SHGC .29/.23
    VT2. .52/.41. Air infiltration .16

First # is without internal grids. 2nd # is with internal grids.

Not as good as Okna, but will the numbers make that much difference in July and August?

• mtvhike
    9 years ago

So glad to see this this thread; I'm also looking for similar., for instllation in far northern NY. Everyone around here seems to use Anderso 400, even though they are not the best for thermal performance. I went to HD with my list of 25 windows and for Anderson 400, the price was about $15,000. A local window dealer who sell these and also Pella, Marvin, and Kolbe says those are better but even double-pane, they are somewhat more expensive, If I want to upgrade to triple-pane, that increases the cost alot.
    Any thoughts about these, and also Loewen?

• PRO
    9 years ago

Peke,

That Soft-Lite door is pretty solid.

• Peke
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow, which Softlite door are you referring to?

What do you think of the numbers for the thermally broken window and sliding glass door?
    Peke

• RemodelMagician
    9 years ago

One can order French doors and/or windows equipped with Low-E glass. Low-E, or low-emissive glass, is window glass that has been treated with an invisible metal or metallic oxide coating, creating a surface that reflects heat or cold from the outside while retaining cool and heated air within a home. Windows treated with Low-E coatings are proven to reduce energy consumption, decrease fading of fabrics, such as window treatments, and increase overall comfort in your home.

Here is a link that might be useful: French doors with low-E glass

• PRO
    9 years ago

Really good post.

Sponsored
All American Painting Plus
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars114 Reviews
Loudoun County Paint & Wall Coverings Professional: Best of Houzz