Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
khoene

Thoughts on using all picture windows in new house?

khoene
10 years ago

My wife and I are building a new house in central Illinois (cold winters and hot summers). My wife rarely wants to open windows at our current house due to concerns about allergies. The back of our house off the great room and dining area will have a lot of windows to take advantage of a nice view. We'll also have counter height windows above the kitchen sink looking out the front of the house and windows in the master bedroom and office on the first floor.

We are considering doing all or mostly picture windows since they are cheaper, more efficient, and look nice. Will we regret not being able to open these windows? Thanks for any thoughts - I love this forum!

Comments (11)

• PRO
    Ultra Windows
    10 years ago

You may not miss being able to open windows, but it very well could hurt you when it comes time to sell the house.

There are some premium grade vinyl windows that offer very low air leakage ratings that would make them great choices for people with allergies. (Soft-lite, Okna, Hi-Mark, Sunrise)

I assume you're aware that there are egress requirements for bedrooms that require operable windows of a certain size unless there is an exterior door in the room.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    10 years ago

I think Ultra Windows nailed it.

• khoene
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the response ultra. Personally, I think my wife uses allergies as a reason to go straight from air conditioning to heat and vice versa as no one in our family really suffers from allergies. Oh well, happy wife ... happy life. Are the windows that you mentioned more energy efficient than other windows or did you mention them because of benefits for specifically allergy sufferers? Thanks!

• PRO
    Ultra Windows
    10 years ago

Yes, keeping the wife happy sure makes life more pleasant.

I mentioned those particular window brands because they are premium grade vinyl windows with the industry's lowest air leakage ratings. The more air leakage, the more dust and pollen infiltration.

• Peke
    10 years ago

I have 2 picture windows that are floor to ceiling in my living room. They are the only windows I have in the living room. In our master bedroom we have 4 more floor to ceiling picture windows. Obviously not to code! We haven't replaced them yet.

I would never put all picture windows in a home. What about doing a combination type window? Maybe put the picture window in the upper part and put an opening window on the bottom. A hopper window maybe?

• mmarse1
    10 years ago

A home needs some ventilation.

• PRO
    10 years ago

1. I don't like Hoppers. They feel cheap to me.

2. You don't want the heavier of the two windows on the top and subjecting the operating window to all of its weight. This will create operational issues.

• toddinmn
    10 years ago

Might want consider a tilt-n-turn or you could go with an oriel or cottage style double-hung which would should be your cheapest option after picture windows.
    If you have a sprinkler system you usually don't have to comply with egress requirements.
    I don't see a problem with a heavier window on top, a lot of the weight is carried by the screws and the sides of the window, a 2by could be added if concerned. Going with a smaller window on bottom or oriel/cottage style double hung may eliminate the need for tempered glass which would save even more money.

• PRO
    10 years ago

+1

Tilt and turns give you both as well as casements. You can probably run the tilt and turns to a larger size though.

Depending on the size Todd, we have had issues with picture windows over larger 2-Lite Sliders.

I would not trust the seamless operation to screws or 2by material.

• texasgal47
    10 years ago

DH and I custom built a 2000 sq.ft. contemporary home in Houston with all fixed glass except for the bedrooms where windows were operational with screens. We lived in that home for over 30 years and have absolutely no regrets. For those very rare times when fresh air was needed (after hurricanes with no electricity), we did fine. I'm preparing to go the same route in my little home that's being prepared for retirement, change out the single pane, operational windows in the familyroom to one big piece of fixed glass in each window, even if it means the extra expense of tempered glass. For me, it's all about the unobstructed view. However, if I lived in a more temperate climate where the weather was pleasant more days of the year, I would go the operational window route for the fresh air.

• dekeoboe
    10 years ago

We have many non-operational windows. Just remember to consider how you will clean the windows since you cannot open them.