Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
new_homeowner_2011

Is over $3000 too much for a brand new steel door?

new_homeowner_2011
12 years ago

Hi, I am a new homeowner and I have a question about our current project. My husband was very enthusiastic about owning a new home and starting home improvement projects on it that he invited a salesman into our house. We ordered shutters, a super nice front door (a Pro Via Signet Fiberglass with cherry stain and a small window) with a surround around the door and a nice storm door (a Pro Via Designer Storm Door). We got so caught up with our design that all of that was quoted to over $8,000 and this is all supposedly with a 40% discount, so I am wondering how much these doors originally go. With that in mind, the 5 pairs of shutters are about $1,000, the storm door is about $1,000, the surround is about $1,000, and the door was about $5,600. (All are rough estimates). We originally wanted shutters but realized that our door needs to be replaced. Our door is an old wooden door and it isn't energy efficient and dirt tends to come inside whenever it is windy or leaf blowers are around. I honestly thought that this should be our last home improvement project, but now it is our first. We own a Town Home, so the stipulation in our contract is that we need HOA approval. I've called the company to downgrade my door to a basic 20 gauge steel door with basic hardware, basic paint, and no window. Even with that downgrade, the cost of the door alone is roughly around $3200 (considering the cost of everything else, but it might be higher). Is that too much for the front door? Should I forget replacing my front door all together and just have the shutters done? The thing is that I really want this door, but I also think that I could save money in the long run if I buy it from someone else, unless, that is the average cost of a Provia door. (I live just outside of DC in MD if that helps). I do want to invest in quality and in increasing the value of my home, but I am also planning on leaving my townhome in about 3 to 5 years and the housing market still seems uncertain as to if it will get better or worse by then. Sorry for the long post. I was trying to help you all out. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Comments (9)

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    12 years ago

Run, run, run from a contractor that "supposedly" gives you a 40% discount.

Is this because they liked you that much and you are that nice a person? Of course not...it is a sham (you probably are a nice person but the selling stuff is a sham).

Replacing a door solely on the basis of efficiency is a touch pill to swallow. If the door is not rotted, things like air leakage and fitment can be adjusted (within reason) to make for an airtight and functional door. If the door is airtight, replacing it with an insulated door will take decades to re-coup that investment. I am speaking solely to the idea of replacing a door for energy savings.

If the door is degraded, rotted, falling apart, etc and you just want a new beautiful door, that is not calculation that you make based on energy efficiency. The energy efficiency is merely a bonus in that case.

Provia doors are very nice and depending on the options and installation requirements, that number might be in the ballpark.

That being said, the idea of a 40% discount still puts me off the the "nth" degree and I don't care to personally deal with companies like that. It is all smoke and mirrors.

• GulfBreezeWindows
    12 years ago

+1 on WoW.

I don't know what kind of pricing you have were your at, but $3000 for a steel door of anykind just seems outragous.

• mmarse1
    12 years ago

3200 is not outrageous for a 20 guage steel door by Provia.
    Provia make a fantastic door, and unlike the flimsy home depot steel doors, proviva'S will not only last but they also look alot nicer.,
    i am someone skeptical about the sales tactics but 3200 for a 20 guage steel door is NOT outrageous.

• skydawggy
    12 years ago

Depends on the door style, glass package and hardware bundle. If it's a basic 6 panel door, then yes, that seems excessive. If it is one of the more decorative styles and has the Emtek hardware and the St. Jane glass package, then no, it's not out of line.

Why don't you get several more quotes to compare? Or is this, as I suspect, a situation where you were lured into a quick decision with the 40% discount, but only good for "today"?

• new_homeowner_2011
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you everyone! Yes, it is a basic six panel door with no windows and basic hardware (a basic door knob that locks with a deadbolt, a knocker, mailslot, and peepsite). I could possibly tell them to install the knob and deadbolt that I have, since it was just replaced. Everything else needs to be replaced and I don't have a peepsite. My main concern is the price of this door without the discount or is the discount really a sham? This seems like the most basic door that they have. Would purchasing this door be a sound investment (if I am planning on moving within five years) or will I lose money? I've researched that steel doors are a good return on your investment, but I'm not sure if a door this expensive will be. And yes, I was lured by the decide today to get the discount. My husband didn't help much and agreed to the price and I followed his lead but we are wondering if we are going to regret it. We need a door because it is degraded, but it is in good shape still, so I am wondering if it is best to wait? Since we are in a contract, we will probably just get the shutters are originally intended for now. As for the question if the price includes labor, yes it does. Also, the cheapest door that they probably have is a 22 guage steel door, but it isn't recommended and is only $200 less than the 20 guage door. We are learning. I'm still stuck, but all of this helps out a lot. Thank you again everyone!

• new_homeowner_2011
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Also, I'm wondering that since Provia is considered the best (or one of them), should I consider a different type of door that will replace my old door, be just as good of an investment, and will be durable enough to last five years and look nice? Are there other options like that? I love the Provia, but I'm wondering if I am spending too much for what I am looking for. Upgrading my door is great, but I also need to save up enough to upgrade to a bigger house in the future.

• skydawggy
    12 years ago

If you can get out of the contract, I would do so. Provia does cost more significant than cheaper brands like Thermal Tru and Jeld Wen but I think they are worth paying more for. You should be able to buy the 006Production for a much less that $3200. Get a few more estimates if you aren't stuck in the contract and never jump on a major purchase like this without doing a little shopping first. If it's a good deal today, it might be a better deal tomorrow.

• toddinmn
    12 years ago

What exactly is wrong with your existing door? I would consider repairing it or throwing in a cheap door.I have had good luck with cheaper off the shelf doors and would take the chance on a 5year span.