Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vikigncrown

Weather Shield Sash replacement?

vikigncrown
14 years ago

Hello everyone! I have a familiar story: busy road, truck/car noise, freeway not too far off . . .

I am planning on doing something to start in our nursery (expecting in april) I understand that the air gap and laminate glass are the way to go, but a fixed lam glass storm panel in a second floor nursery sounds like quite the fire hazzard. So I had a guy come out today from a local window company and he recommended not replacing the windows completely but doing a sash replacement with the zo-e-6 window.

He said my frame was extruded aluminum and looked really good and only thought we needed to replace the sashes. I should have a quote today or tomorrow but I wanted to throw this out there to see what some of the experts here think I should do and how anyone felt about the Weather Shield product.

Regards,

Brian

Comments (15)

• afsa
    14 years ago

Try running a search on Weather Shield here on Garden Web

• vikigncrown
    Original Author
    14 years ago

They seem to not be well regarded here, but is that due to installer issues or the actual product itself?

Also a lot of the issues seem to be stigma or related to the past, I am interested in the current quality of the product.

I had another dealer come out and he is going to quote me a price on United Eclipse series replacements with laminated glass, does anyone have any thoughts on that product?

• afsa
    14 years ago

I have sold there product in the past, manufacturing issues, and service was non existent. I know people who had sold them up until last year when they went to one step in my area and they had exactly them same issues.

• vikigncrown
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Good to know, do you have any thoughts or know about the United Eclipse line?

• vikigncrown
    Original Author
    14 years ago

wow afsa, you are just making my day hehe! Well the guy who is giving me the quote on the United Eclipse line also sells Marvin wood windows, but he said they are 2X the cost of the United, i guess it would be worth it to get a quote on them as well.

Are there any manufacturers that have a moderately priced sash kit or replacement windows with Laminate glass that you would recommend?

Or as an alternative, would it make sense to get no Laminate and do either no new window and a double hung laminate storm? or a cheaper new window non-lam and a lam double hung storm?

• afsa
    14 years ago

Kolbe is a decent sash kit and i hear that actually Lincoln has a good inexpensive sash kit(although i do not like there full units)

• vikigncrown
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Glad to hear about Lincoln, I have a guy who was going to give me competitive quotes on Weather Shield and he said he also sells the Lincoln line. I'll try and get a quote on them as well.

I got my quote for the replacements with Lam for the United Eclipes and they want 750 a window (installed price) but from what I've heard I'll probably skip these since they don't sound very good.

I'm planning on calling Kolbe and Gorell today to see if i can get quotes from them.

What do you think would be a good ballpark as far as price for lam double hung sash kits and also replacement windows? I'm just curious to see where my quotes fall.

• afsa
    14 years ago

Where are you located?

• vikigncrown
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Harleysville, PA 19438

• afsa
    14 years ago

your probably looking around $750.00 - $800.00 average for the sash kits, vinyl i have no idea

• tube
    14 years ago

Check out Trimline. They are located about 30 minutes from you. Their ultra fit is one of the best sash replacements on the market. What size are your windows?

• vikigncrown
    Original Author
    14 years ago

the windows are 35 X 53 and the frames are in good shape and are square. I'll see if i can get in touch with Trimline. thanks for the tip!

• Rosiez6a_MA
    8 years ago

Hi vikigncrown, what was the solution you finally used to cut down the noise? We are in the same situation...expecting a baby soon but the noise from the street is too much! Thanks.

• abluecrab
    5 years ago

I purchased my house in 1982 with weather shield windows.They lasted for 30+ years until most of the double pane window seals leaked due to a tornado and age. The weather shield dealer was quick to provide replacement at a great price for breakage durning this time. In 2013, I replaced all my window with weather shield alum outside double hung with natural wood inside.I really like these windows.Because I am near a truck route I got 3 windows with Laminate glass. The laminated glass is not guarantee if the seal breaks.This has not happened in my 5 years.However, I did not notice a large reduction in noise. P The laminate seem to cuts down on the higher notes like a horn beeping ,but the trunk noise is there.Heavy curtains seem to work as well but blocks out the light. White noise machine( air filter) also helps.I think Weather Shield make a good product but their windows did have a problem durning one production model years ago. I would go with the Weather shield laminated glass and get heavy curtains.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio