Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Weather Shield Sash replacement?

Posted by vikigncrown (My Page) on
Tue, Jan 26, 10 at 9:20

Hello everyone! I have a familiar story: busy road, truck/car noise, freeway not too far off . . .

I am planning on doing something to start in our nursery (expecting in april) I understand that the air gap and laminate glass are the way to go, but a fixed lam glass storm panel in a second floor nursery sounds like quite the fire hazzard. So I had a guy come out today from a local window company and he recommended not replacing the windows completely but doing a sash replacement with the zo-e-6 window.

He said my frame was extruded aluminum and looked really good and only thought we needed to replace the sashes. I should have a quote today or tomorrow but I wanted to throw this out there to see what some of the experts here think I should do and how anyone felt about the Weather Shield product.

Regards,
Brian

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Weather Shield Sash replacement?

Try running a search on Weather Shield here on Garden Web

o

They seem to not be well regarded here, but is that due to installer issues or the actual product itself?

Also a lot of the issues seem to be stigma or related to the past, I am interested in the current quality of the product.

I had another dealer come out and he is going to quote me a price on United Eclipse series replacements with laminated glass, does anyone have any thoughts on that product?

o

I have sold there product in the past, manufacturing issues, and service was non existent. I know people who had sold them up until last year when they went to one step in my area and they had exactly them same issues.

o

Good to know, do you have any thoughts or know about the United Eclipse line?

o

Is this United Window and the line is Eclipse? If so the next good thing i hear about United would be the first.

o

wow afsa, you are just making my day hehe! Well the guy who is giving me the quote on the United Eclipse line also sells Marvin wood windows, but he said they are 2X the cost of the United, i guess it would be worth it to get a quote on them as well.

Are there any manufacturers that have a moderately priced sash kit or replacement windows with Laminate glass that you would recommend?

Or as an alternative, would it make sense to get no Laminate and do either no new window and a double hung laminate storm? or a cheaper new window non-lam and a lam double hung storm?

o

Kolbe is a decent sash kit and i hear that actually Lincoln has a good inexpensive sash kit(although i do not like there full units)

o

Glad to hear about Lincoln, I have a guy who was going to give me competitive quotes on Weather Shield and he said he also sells the Lincoln line. I'll try and get a quote on them as well.

I got my quote for the replacements with Lam for the United Eclipes and they want 750 a window (installed price) but from what I've heard I'll probably skip these since they don't sound very good.

I'm planning on calling Kolbe and Gorell today to see if i can get quotes from them.

What do you think would be a good ballpark as far as price for lam double hung sash kits and also replacement windows? I'm just curious to see where my quotes fall.

o

Where are you located?

o

Harleysville, PA 19438

o

your probably looking around $750.00 - $800.00 average for the sash kits, vinyl i have no idea

o

Check out Trimline. They are located about 30 minutes from you. Their ultra fit is one of the best sash replacements on the market. What size are your windows?

o

the windows are 35 X 53 and the frames are in good shape and are square. I'll see if i can get in touch with Trimline. thanks for the tip!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here