Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help -- Marvin Integrity vs Milgard Montecito

Posted by xrayvision (My Page) on
Wed, Jan 13, 10 at 8:32

Hi and thanks everyone for all of their help.

We are changing our windows -- new construction method. We live in Sacramento CA area so Summers hot 100-110 and Winters cool in low 40s.

Our GC has quoted us for Milgard Montecito Vinyls from HD price is $4,399.

My friend recommended Marvin Integrity with the Pine interiors -- those came out to $6,834 --- so 55% higher.

We are planning in living in this house until kids leave for college.

So some additional things to consider in cost are that the Marvin's are a little big for our Rough Openings -- by 1/4 - 1/2 inch - so sounds like GC would have to trim some of the openings (is this ok or bad for structural integrity around windows?). And additional for the inner pine trim.

From what it sounds like reading the prior threads, kind of like comparing apples to oranges. Is the additional price worth it for the Marvins? One question is how fast does window technology advance, ie 10 yrs down the road is window technology going to advance so much that I will need/want to change my windows anyways regardless of what I get today. Or should I buy the window today that will last the longest seeing how we plan on being here at least 17 yrs. Just trying to spend wisely in my ever expanding budget during this renovation.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help -- Marvin Integrity vs Milgard Montecito

Very true...apples to oranges.

I think you will see the delta back in resale value with the Marvins and it is a top notch product.

o

I agree completely with what windowsonwashington says, and with those high temps i would not want to use vinyl windows if it were my house, just my personal feelings no proven facts just me

o

Thanks for advice!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here