Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vermontlove

cannot find forum for frost on windows query!

vermontlove
10 years ago

I believe this query should be in the Nature section, but until I decide which 'plant' forum to go for, hahaha, I will put it here.
I am in S. Vermont where the temps got a bit low recently. Frost on the windows has been common, but not what showed up this morning! There is a large heart on my entryway window. My question is, does frost grow around a pattern of what is already on glass? Did someone long ago trace a heart with a greasy finger that is basically invisible til frost comes along to highlight it?
I got a picture, but against white background of snow, it is most hard to see. Plus, I cannot upload it til tomorrow when my I get my card reader back.

Comment (1)

• oberon476
    10 years ago

Having posted on this, and other, forums for a number of years, it is really rare to see a question that is totally unique. I have to say that your question is indeed very unique.

First, I can relate to the chilly temperatures. The morning temperatures when I left for work here in northwest Wisconsin were at or below -20 Monday thru Wednesday and
    -16 yesterday (although yesterday felt the coldest because of gusty winds dropping the windchill to -40 or thereabouts).

Today was a balmy +14 when I left home and we may even hit 30 before going back to -20's by monday morning.

My point being that while I have also seen some condensation and frost on the interior surfaces of my windows (the interior handle of our exterior door knobs have been totally frosted over a couple times as well), limiting interior moisture in your home will help a lot with limiting condensation on your windows.

Keeping any blinds or shades open when it is very cold will also help to prevent excessive condensation and frost build up on your windows as well.

You may not be able to stop condensation and frost completely when the air outside gets in the double digits below zero Fahrenheit range, but you can take steps that may help to control it.

And yes, it is entirely possible that if someone had once written or drawn something on your window glass, mist, or condensation, or frost could, given the ideal conditions, reveal the message or drawing at a much later date. (trust me that there are some truly embarassing stories in the industry about that happening!)

If I read your message correctly you are seeing a frost pattern in the center of your glass but there is no other frost in the area, just the heart shape?

That would be very odd because it means that the glass displaying the heart shape has to be a good bit colder than that rest of the glass around the shape and I am trying to think how that would work.....

Pictures would definitely be very helpful. Also a desription of the window may help (dual pane, Low-E, manufacturer, and so on.

This post was edited by oberon on Fri, Jan 24, 14 at 12:24