Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
xrayvision_gw

Electric vs Manual Velux Skylight

xrayvision
14 years ago

Going to buy Velux Skylights. Manual opening windows are approx 50% cheaper than the electric opening. Is the convenience of the electric worth the price. We have vaulted ceilings but should be able to get to them manually with a rod. One concern I have besides price, is the more intricate a device, the more chance there is for failure/malfunction. Anyone been able to compare there function and durability. Any one had any particular complaints with either type?

Thanks

Comments (8)

• downtowner
    14 years ago

We have electric ones. They work great. We don't open them a lot, but they work great when we do. We live in a noisy location and erred in having the opening face the highway noise.

We got two kinds of shades. We don't really use them.

Why would you want to open your skylights? How often would that be?

If you get the electric ones, get the wall switch. I think the manual remotes are standard.

• xrayvision
    Original Author
    14 years ago

In Sacramento CA area, gets pretty hot during day, but relatively nice at night - so during summer open them to air out the house in evening. We have vaulted ceilings so would also help let out the hotter air towards top.

Thanks for info

• afsa
    14 years ago

If you choose to have the electric operators make sure you get the rain sensors as they will be a nice feature

• xrayvision
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Still deciding on exact size -- but pretty sure going to go with two 23" x 46" skylights ($950) -- one in small kitchen (13 x 11ft) and one in connecting small breakfast nook (9 x 11ft) - about 10-11 ft up from floor. My dilemma is for only $200 ($1150)can get one 44" x 46" and put it in between both rooms. But that will go right over our peninsula/bar sitting area and we would loose the pendant lights we were planning - wife not too keen on that.

Those would be our only skylights.

Napagirl, I heard they have a device that can convert a manual to electric. I only know that it exists, don't know price, reliabilty, etc...

• ron6519
    14 years ago

There's no reason you can't retrofit an electric opener on your skylight. It's just a device that gets mounted at the skylight base. Running the wires might require opening some walls or ceilings.
    Ron

• napagirl
    14 years ago

xrayvision, I agree with your DW - don't give up the pendant lighting bec you'll miss it when the sun goes down.
    I still vote for the electric openers.

ron6519, Thanks for letting me know I can retrofit my manual skylight to electric.
    I'll look into that before we finish this remodel.

• xrayvision
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Just a follow up. Bought 2 electric Velux. The 2009 model is on sale at a local place 20% off because they are coming out with new line in 2010. So if anyone looking may want to call around. I got mine at Truitt and White in Berkeley CA, but sale only applies to their current in warehouse stock (so look for a bigger place that actually has them on site/warehouse).