Return to the Windows Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Skylight location opinions

Posted by xrayvision (My Page) on
Thu, Jan 14, 10 at 7:06

Thanks everyone for all of their help in my past postings. All the help here has kept me somewhat sane during this renovation.

We opened up our kitchen ceiling to match the vaulting in the adjacent Breakfast nook and Family room. So it goes Kitchen (13 x 11 ft) then Nook (13 x 9 ft) then Family room (14 x 19ft) in a row. We like the contiguous flow of the rooms. We wanted to add velux skylight(s). 40 x 46" would be great, but think too big for Kitchen or Nook. Could get a 23" wide for each room, but putting in a smaller skylight is only slightly cheaper than the 40" wide, so ideally one 40" is the way I would like to go budget wise.

The Kitchen and Nook will be separated by a Penninsula/Bar that will be 48 inches wide. I was thinking of placing a 40 x 46 " window over the peninsula - so 1/2 light into each room. My GC doesn't like the idea, thinks it will break up the contiguous flow of the rooms. He thinks that if gonna put one in, would prefer one 23" in Kitchen (it is the darkest of the rooms)

I hope this pic works, it is from me standing in Family room. Where the Dry wall ends is the location of the Penninsula/Bar and transition from Kitchen to Nook.

Thanks

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Skylight location opinions

If you were to use a curb mounted type of skylite from say Insuladome on Long Island you could use a 30" width. I do not sell skylites any longer but when i did i most always preferred and had better luck selling the curb mounted type as opposed to the Roof Window style like a Velux.And that really became an issue with me when HD started selling them cheaper than I could buy them from Velux themselves(Velux does also make a Curb Mounted unit since they purchased Thermo-Vu) but i still would not buy them from a box store

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Windows Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here