Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
insulatingglassmfg

Vinyl Replacement Windows - Home Craftsman Windows Dallas, TX

insulatingglassmfg
11 years ago

They make a great replacement window. The IG unit used in their windows is the best you can get. It will out last super spacer, intercept, dura-seal, and any other spacer system in the industry by tens of years.

Comments (9)

• PRO
    Ultra Windows
    11 years ago

Homeowners in Texas should absolutely consider Cardinal Glass products, particularly their Low-E366, which is phenomenal. Just don't get it in a Home Craftsman window. Sunrise, NT Windows, Don Young, and Simonton all offer much better products with the same Cardinal glass package.

• mmarse1
    11 years ago

Agree, Home craftsman look like very low quality and flimsy.

• HomeSealed
    11 years ago

I can't comment on the quality of the window itself having no experience with it, however there are really only a handful of glass companies out there that the vast majority of the window manufacturers use. Thus, there are plenty of products out there that fail miserably despite the fact that they have a good glass package. I'd imagine that this is especially pertinent in an extreme climate like TX.... Not only was it a shameless plug, it wasn't even relevant.
    ...Let me also add, that the comment on spacers is baseless, incorrect, and misleading.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    11 years ago

This about sums it up.

• HandyManTomTx
    11 years ago

I like Home Craftsman but also I like NT, Simonton, and Don Young as well. However, it does have a far superior glass package than NT, Simonton, or Don Young. NT makes their own IG units with super spacer as well does Simonton. Don Young uses a dura-seal spacer system. I believe Home Craftsman uses 100% Cardinal IG's with their XL Edge. I am out of the business now but I was in it for 30 years and do know that Cardinal IG's can not be matched. If HC was such a bad window why do they put the same exact IG as the Andersen 400 series. The top window you can get? Just curious? Are they a competitior or something?

• HomeSealed
    11 years ago

I think that you are slightly misguided handymantom. The XL edge (stainless steel) is indeed a solid choice, however composite spacers such as super spacer and the like are an UPGRADE, not a downgrade. Either way, your post is much like a typical of window salesmen in that it focuses on one specific aspect, rather than looking at the performance of the product as a whole. The independently tested thermal and structural performance ratings are truly a sum of those parts, so if you would like to discuss the quality and/or performance of a given product, u-value, air infiltration, design pressure, etc would be the way to do so. :)

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    11 years ago

Handyman,

Are we to assume that every manufacturer that makes their own IGUs is making a lesser product?

I agree that Cardinal makes some great glass and IGUs but if quality control is similar, what difference does the IGU manufacturer make if they use the same protocols?

While the XL Edge is great spacer, a non metallic unit would, in theory, provide a bit better edge of glass performance.

None of the manufacturers that you listed actually make their Low-e, they merely assemble the IGU.

• PRO
    Ultra Windows
    11 years ago

Not much to add to what's been said, except that Don Young can be ordered with Cardinal's XL Edge stainless steel spacer and Low-E366.

And again, my problem with HC is not the glass, it's the vinyl frames and sashes.

• Trapper1
    11 years ago

Durability, of course, is open to debate. Cardinal, I'm sure, could provide some test results and longitudal life studies that demonstrate the reliability of XL Edge/PIB/Silicone. With other spacer systems, it's a bit more of a question, even if fully certified. Will the IG hold up 15 years? 20? 40?

Sponsored
Kwon Contracting
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Loudoun County, VA