Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rockybird

companies that can make 8' x 8' fixed tempered glass?

rockybird
13 years ago

I bought a mid-century home that has eight 8' x 8' fixed panes of glass, floor to ceiling (and eight 8' x 8' sliders). I have checked with Milgard and Fleetwood, neither of which can do this. The Milgard dealer called some other companies and cannot find a co. that can do this. I am afraid if I do find a co. that it will be out of my budget, but thought it was worth a shot. The alternative is to make each 8' panel two 4' panels.

Thank you.

Comments (12)

• PRO
    East Bay 10
    13 years ago

Sixty four square feet is going to kick you beyond the maximum of most companies. You are probably in the realm of aluminum storefront but it is going to be very expensive.

Another thought and you have already mentioned it. Use 4080 tempered panels from standard sliding doors and you will see considerable savings.

• highport
    13 years ago

How about a 8'x6' stacked on top of a 8'x2' . This would not have a vertical mull post & most companies would build this at a reasonable cost?

• rockybird
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you! This what I was afraid of, but I think it is worth calling a commercial glass co. That is a good idea highport. I will run it by the architect, but I think 4 x 4 might work better. There are literally walls of glass (128 linear feet total) and it flows really smoothly to see one big pane next to a slider, next to a pane. Since the sliders are broken up into two 4040 doors, a 4040 pane next to it might look more symmetric. Here is a pic of one of the walls of glass.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• millworkman
    13 years ago

A commercial glass company can definitely make this happen for you, they would probably use a tempered(by code) glass with but laminated as well just for extra strength due to the size.

• rockybird
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Do you think this will be very expensive? The milgard quote, and even the fleetwood quote, seemed reasonable.

• millworkman
    13 years ago

If Milgard and Fleetwood cannot make the size you want, how can the quote have "seemed reasonable"

• rockybird
    Original Author
    13 years ago

The quote for eight 8080 sliders and sixteen 4040 fixed glass panels.

• millworkman
    13 years ago

if they cannot make the size you want how can they give you a price for the size you want?

• rockybird
    Original Author
    13 years ago

They didnt. The quote was for the glass as stated above. The size I want is 8080 fixed glass. Their quote for the sliders and the alternative of 16 4040's was reasonable. If I find a co. to make 8080 glass, than I assume the sliders need to match. Fltwood and Milgard had very reasonable prices for the sliders. If the com. co. has expensive sliders than at eight of them, it may be out of my budget, regardless if they can do the 8080 fixed glass.

• millworkman
    13 years ago

I understand now, I would try possibly Arcadia for the sliding doors and a commercial company for the fixed panes. The profile should be compatible.

• rockybird
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you. I will call them.

• jhwu
    13 years ago

Hi, I had 8'x9' single-glazed tempered glass windows made for my house.

The glass was made by Hartung Glass. http://www.hartungglass.com/

The aluminum window frames were made by Bonelli Windows http://www.bonelli.com/
    Bonelli has a great and friendly sales team but their post-sales support and service is a bit gruff.

Needless to say, this is big glass! It all had to be site glazed!

PS - I used Fleetwood sliders too --- and the largest Fleetwood slider I have is 7.5' x 8.5' per pane. That's 63.75 sq ft, and that's insulated glass.

Are you sure they can't do 64 sq ft? I wasn't even close to maxxing out their size for the Norwood 3000 series...

Here is a link that might be useful: Bonelli Windows