Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stacylh_gw

Sash Kit Replacement Recommendations and Advice Needed

stacylh
11 years ago

We are getting ready to do some extensive remodeling to our home, which will include moving and/or cutting out for new windows in multiple locations. While we are at it, we'd like to upgrade the windows we currently have, which are very low end builder grade windows that are approximately 16 years old that have very little thermal value.

After having a couple of window contractors look at the job, we were told that a) we have no brick mold, which, in turn, makes a replacement window job harder which = more money; and b) our window frames are actually in really good shape and that we could just replace the sashes, which will look more natural with new windows going in as well.

My questions are:

1) What are some good brands of sash kits that won't break the bank (i.e., Pella and Jeldwen are definitely out of our league)?

2) How difficult of a job is this for a DIYer who has some construction experience and a good head on their shoulders (i.e., my husband)?

3) Are there certain things that set one sash kit apart from another that we really need to be looking for? I've gotten one quote for sash kits already from a local company that produces them and I asked if the sashes included argon, Low E, etc. and what the pane width was; the answer was that it did not include argon and the other stats she gave didn't really answer my questions (or I'm too ignorant to know how to translate what she said into an answer for my questions).

I'd just love to hear words of wisdom, thoughts, and advice from others out there that may know more about this subject than I do.

Thanks in advance!!

Comments (11)

• toddinmn
    11 years ago

Pella does not make sash kits,Jeld-Wens are not that good and if they are to expensive so will most other brands.
    Sash kits can be very difficult to very easy depending on the condition and how square the frames are.Inserts will work if sahs kits will. The job will become more difficult if installing full framed windows.

What company local company is offering sash kits? They probally make there own glass and do not have the acapability to add argon, probally an aluminum spacer as well. They should be able to order glass to your specification but would be an upcharge.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    11 years ago

Great advice right there.

Sash kits can be a bear to get to seal up properly.

• HomeSealed
    11 years ago

+2. Insert replacements will offer an easier install, tighter seal, and open up more options for you. Only downside is the loss of glass area.
    As Todd mentioned, jeldwen is not necessarily on the high side in terms of price or quality, so if that is too expensive, I'm not sure what isn't.
    If energy efficiency on a shoestring budget is the order of the day, storm windows may be worth consideration.... Although that does depend on the type of window tat you have existing.

• stacylh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks....the main issues are that 1) There's an obvious difference between the look of a new construction window and a replacement window and since I'll be having both side by side after remodeling, it probably won't be the most attractive look; and 2) the contractors that we've had out say it's going to be a bear dealing with the lack of brick mold.

Someone along the way mentioned sash kits as an alternative so we thought it might be worthwhile to check into this route, especially since we have 26 windows to replace.

Thanks!

• PRO
    11 years ago

Can you post up some pictures?

• millworkman
    11 years ago

I have actually been told that while there windows in general suck (to lay it right on the line) but I have been told that Lincoln actually makes a decent sash pack. But again if the price of a Junk Wen sash kit is out of your league you need to look in another direction.

• HomeSealed
    11 years ago

Stacy:
    1) Pics would definitely help
    2) Lack of brickmold should not be a problem. Are you speaking to companies that specialize in window replacement? For a full tearout without brickmold (or any trim), it is very common to simply cut the siding back and add trim to the size and style that you desire.
    3) Are the existing windows wood or vinyl? If vinyl, a full tearout is necessary. If wood, the inserts are an option, and can be done to minimize the change in appearance. You are going to have a somewhat different look on the exterior regardless, so the difference may not be as drastic as you think.
    With 26 units, I would definitely take your time with this decision and research all options to insure that you'll be happy with the result the day they are installed, and 10 years from now.

• stacylh
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ok, well, after having another window installer over today, I believe we will be going the way of replacement windows. He raised several issues about sash kits and thought that new windows would be worth the price difference (a couple of thousand at most) in the long term. He also promotes a brand of window that has high marks for energy efficiency and that makes a new construction window in which there will be very little noticeable difference between the new installation windows and the replacement ones.

The brand is Norandex...do you know of any cons of using this window? A family friend has them and is very pleased with them and the installer.

Thanks!

• HomeSealed
    11 years ago

Somebody please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that the main offering from Norandex is a relabeled Simonton. Not a bad window by any means, but you may be able to find a product with superior ratings in the same price range. Where are you located?-- That will help to recommend the products that are available in your area.
    Couple other observations:
    - Good choice on going with the inserts. I sincerely believe that you'll be happier with the result. More efficient, less issues, better warranty, etc. Some sash kits can get pretty pricey as well.
    - Generally speaking, the guys that are most knowledgeable, passionate, and skilled when it comes to windows offer higher end products that may not be available from a supply house such as Norandex. In addition, it takes a fair amount of volume, quality, and an established company to have a direct purchase relationship with a manufacturer, whereas a supply house will sell to anyone with a pulse. Please understand that this does not mean that you won't get a good product or install, it is just a little riskier IMHO. If thi s particular guy seemed very knowledgeable, trustworthy, and represents a reputable company, then you could certainly do worse :)

• toddinmn
    11 years ago

Norandex does not have there own brand of windows but they do have one brand that is exclusive to them.That would be the ViewPoint.They are not eclusive to Simonton windows but they exclusive to the Prism line of Simonton windows. The Simonton is the better brand and the Prism Platinum is the prefferd line.Within the Prism line you will want to look at option available to you such as glass package, spacers, sash reinforcement, ect. I would also check out the Soft-Lite Pro series.this window is also available through Norandex in my part and could be considered a better option than the Simonton Prism Platinum.I would probally get some more quotes since this is going to be a big investment for you. As with anything the devil is in the details. You need to ask alot of questions from spacers to install methods.

• PRO
    11 years ago

I think Todd nailied it.

Stick to Simonton's higher end lines and you would also be well served to look at something from Soft-Lite.

While the Prism Platinum is a decent window, it does have a pretty bulky extrusion and look to it where as the slimmer line Soft-Lites are cleaner looking.