Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
volntitan

Need Quick Advice...please...

volntitan
15 years ago

So we want to get our windows replaced. There is some rotted wood and moisture btwn. panes, so it is time. Now we saved up about $7,000 and need to replace 20 windows. Just had our first quote from American Home Design (Nashville). $18,000. Well, can't do that. I know that high quality windows cost that much, but with a kid in college and the economy, we absolutely can't swing that.

So, tomorrow Window World is coming to give us a quote. Neither my wife nor myself know much about windows. Unfortunately I will be at work when they come, so it will be up to my wife to deal with them. What questions should we ask and any hints you can give so we get the best window for best price? Anything they try to sell that you don't need?

Any advice would be huge or any other low cost replacement window recommendations would be great also. Neighbors have had Window World and seem pleased...

Comments (16)

• ibwindows
    15 years ago

Best advice I can give is... If all you have is 7 grand for 20 windows....you need to learn how to DIY. Anything you get installed at that price you will be replacing again in a few years.

• volntitan
    Original Author
    15 years ago

So the Window World guy came buy today and talked to the wife. Looking at the Comfort World 4000 series. He said he would go with those, even when asked about the 6000. They have the "soft" low E, virgin vinyl, gas, foam on the jambs. We have a friend who is a contractor and confirmed that the 4000 is identical to the Alside Excaliber. He is a dealer for Alside, but can't do it for the price Window World can and said that he deals more with new construction because the replacement market he can't really compete with. My concern was the installation. Window World of Mid. Tenn. is fortunately one of the "good" Window Worlds. Their installers are employed by them so they are not sub contracted. At the end of the day, the bid is $6500. We had someone from Better Living come in tonight and gave us the dog and pony show with their window. The features were identical to the Window World one. Their special, tonight only price was $14,000. I know there are much better windows out there, but boy, for a $300,000 house, hard to pass up the $6500 price. Sure the others might last twice as long, but at the price difference, I could just redo the windows.

If there is anything I might be overlooking, please let me know...

Report this post

• volntitan
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I have checked references. Including folks in our neighborhood who has used them. I know these are not the top of the line window. If I had tons of money, it would be great to get the top line ones that cost $900+ per opening. But I don't. With a kid in college and this economy, I cannot go out and finance $20,000 for windows. I will certainly talk to them about how they are installed, for sure. We have a friend that is coming tonight who is a contracter that carries the same window so will get more insight thru him. I know the whole "can't afford not to spend for the best" deal, but in this age, that is unrealistic.

I do look forward to looking at your ebook though...looks very informative.

• volntitan
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Forgot...I am not getting the $189 window. The ones we are getting have the low e, argon, fused, flexible spacer, etc.

• skydawggy
    15 years ago

You do not have to spend $900 per window to get a quality product. There are many windows available for $450-$600 per opening that will perform better, last longer, and can be installed by a proffessional, than the junk from WW.

• volntitan
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Well so far, I can't find it. The window is made by Alside, which makes the one from American Home Design that they wanted to charge $900+ for. And it was also well reviewed by Consumers Digest and reports.

• skydawggy
    15 years ago

Then you aren't looking very hard or you live in a very remote location. What area are you in? Many window companies have websites with a dealer locater. Have you tried visiting the websites of Simonton, Gorell, Softlite, Amerimax, as well as others? Try picking up the yellow pages and calling a few companies that sell and install windows. Have them come out and give you a free estimate. They will be happy to hear from you.

CR is a very poor source of information on windows. Their reports are only based a on a handfull of manufacturers out of the almost 1200 in existence. Although CR claims they don't accept money for advertising, ask yourself how these specific companies get chosen every time they do a report? In addition, CR only reports on windows that are sold thru a DIY aka Hardware store market. Most of the better companies sell through independent contractors or do the installations themselves.

• volntitan
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hey Skydawg...

Got 2 boards going! I have checked the yellow pages and references and such, including HD and Lowes. They are all going into the $8,500+ to start, with all but 2 being $11k and beyond. I know WW is far from the best, but atleast in middle TN, they have a good reputation, including the 3-4 neighbors that have them. With the kid in college, I just can't afford to spend 5 figures on windows, and if I can get some middle range windows for around $320 per window, including aluminum wrap, hard to pass up.

• lucky8926
    15 years ago

Volntitan did you end up going with Window World? I am considering them and if u did choose them can u tell me what you think of them??

• royaltyfamily
    10 years ago

I know this thread is old, but how do you like your WW windows? We are getting ready to replace the windows in our home. We had WW come out about a month ago, but I want to research them more.

• mmarse1
    10 years ago

Window world are garbage, end of story. They survive because of so many homeowners that just care about installing the cheapest/ lowest quality windows while CONVINCING themselves that they are better than what they had. If you want low quality windows, give them a call or better yet, go buy the junk they sell at home depot or lowes.
    Its your home, we cant tell you what to do. Im sure you already did research and saw all the negative reviews but yet you still keep trying to push the issue.

• bpchiil
    10 years ago

I am not a window pro...only a money pro :)

How long would it take you to save an extra $3K?

You would be much further ahead to spend $10K and have a much better window versus spending the $7K now on a VERY low quality window and having to replace them in 10 years or less. Believe me, you will be money ahead.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    10 years ago

+1

That is the missing metric that people don't consider when they run the numbers.

How much is the cost to replace a poorly performing window in 10 years.

Every pro here has seen it where the windows fail prematurely.

• HomeSealed_WI
    10 years ago

+2. If doing it right the first time is not in the short term budget, then either postpone the project, or maybe get some good storm windows. This is a major investment that will affect the value of your home, simply finding the absolute cheapest option available is almost never money wisely spent.

• Gabriel Sterling
    8 years ago

Sends out fraudulent "surveys" that have nothing to do with their company claiming to recieve a gift card for reutrning the survey.

They called to confirm they got the card and get the "necessary" information to send me the gift card. When I wouldn't let them pressure sell me or come to my house for "water inspection" I suddenly didn't qualify for the gift card.

No where did the survey state anything about home visits or purchases to qualify. Total scammers. If this is the tactics they use to get customers, RUN AWAY!

• PRO