Return to the Wedding Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What to do??? What to do???

Posted by TFQJR (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 6, 04 at 18:05

We are currently planning our May 2005 Wedding...I am the baby girl of 12 extremely close Grandchildren, the eleven oldest being men and have known all my life that they needed to play a role in my Wedding!! After announcing our engagement I asked all of them to be a part of our day and now I am trying to decide what it is that they can do. Ushers are not necessary and I was thinking of having them do something like I've seen on TV where the people enter before the BRIDE and hold up things such as Golf Clubs or Softball Bats,( perhaps to tacky ) then the BRIDE walks through them and proceeds down the aisle...I just was wondering if anyone might have any ideas on how to involve my BEST FRIENDS in my Ceremony without overshadowing my GROOM!! I also would like to add that I have been puttering through the WEDDING FORUM and am very happy to have stumbled upon it. All of you seem to be so wonderful and helpful and I look forward to your replies!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What to do??? What to do???

Instead of doing the "arch of bats or clubs," at the ceremony, do it after the ceremony. (If you do it as part of the ceremony, you diminish the importance of the vows.) I have done this at weddings (I am a coordinator) and it is quite effective and dramatic, as well as fun. You can do it as the couple enter the reception.

Another way that I have done it is, after the ceremony, the bride and groom walk down the aisle and out of sight around a corner or into a nearby room. The ushers then dismiss the guests (you need at least 2 ushers) and ask the guests to line up outside to the limo or other get-away car. Then, I hand out the bats to those holding them (who also remained behind inside the building). They exit and form a line from the door outwards and the couple walk through this to their waiting car. If you do this, be sure to let the photographer know in advance so that he/she is positioned to get a good shot. This adds a fun ending to the wedding without taking the focus away from the ceremony.

o

can you get them to do something at the reception, instead of the ceremony? Ask them to put on a skit, maybe, or make a series of toasts, or sing your favorite song (even if they sing badly)? That could be fun, and it would make them involved, but not in the ceremony.

o

Do any of them have talents you could showcase during the ceremony and/or reception? For instance, could one or two of them sing or play instruments to provide music? Could a couple of them do the ceremony readings? Are any of them very organized people who would be well suited to a "coordinator" role, helping you keep all the details straight? Would any of them be great at DJing or "hosting" at the reception?

Maybe if you think of them individually, instead of as a large group, you could identify those kinds of roles which would suit them each personally.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wedding Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here