Return to the Wedding Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Whom to Tip

Posted by SarbeD (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 27, 05 at 16:27

My daughter is getting married in January at a local Country Club. Do I need to tip the banquet co-ordinator? She is not a wedding planner. If so, how much. She is going to help set up, cut the cake, etc... We are doing a sit down dinner with 150- 175 people. Also, do what about the DJ? He is being paid a fee already. THANKS

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Whom to Tip

Generally, you do not tip the DJ, photographer, florist, cake baker, or videographer. The banquet coordinator actually gets a portion of the gratuity that should be included in your bill. In my area, the banquet coordinator gets 3% of the gratuity and the remainder is shared with the servers and kitchen help. You can give her a separate tip in addition if she does an excellent job.

The people that are commonly tipped are limo drivers, valet parking attendants, and hair dressers. Personal coordinators are often tipped as well. Anyone who provides service above and beyond what you expect, or who helps with a difficult situation, should be tipped.

Be aware that bartenders will usually add a gratuity to your bill and, IN ADDITION, place a glass or bowl on the bar for tips from your guests. If you don't want them to collect from your guests, be sure to let them know. Many people find this tacky.

o
RE: Whom to Tip

I agree strongly with Sweet Pea's last comment. I think it is terribly inappropriate for bartenders (or anyone else) to put out a tip jar at a reception (or any other private party where they are paid by the hosts). They should not be trying to make money off the guests -- guests shouldn't pay for anything. I have seen this only once or twice, and I thought it looked really horrible. Bear in mind also that if you let the bartenders do this at your reception, some of your guests might even think that they are doing it with your blessing (or even that it was your idea) so that your guests, not you, will have to pay the bartenders. Of course that's not true, but why risk having anyone think that? I would be sure to tell the coordinator, caterer, or whoever is in charge that it is important to you that there be no tip jars anywhere.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wedding Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here