Return to the Wedding Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Outdoor Wedding Idea's

Posted by ljw40 (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 3, 05 at 20:44

I am planning my wedding for next fall and looking for unique idea's for an outdoor wedding. We are wanting to look for a site in the mountains of North Carolina. We both are very simple people and have around 100 people on our list. We are working with a very tight budget and want to keep it simple but memorable for all.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Outdoor Wedding Idea's

Look for state parks and historical sites. Many can be rented for a reasonable fee. Just be sure that you have an indoor option in case of bad weather.

o

i agree about the alternative site or a park with a covered picnic area.

ds1's wedding was outside in a friend's yard. they did rent a huge tent, just in case. actually we ate under the tent and as luck would have it, just as ds1 and dil were cutting the cake, the sky's opened up! thank goodness the family had a good sized home for the elders, and babies to go into.

ds1 bought strings of white lights the day after christmas (half price), to use the following august. her flowers were from the local farmer's market. since yours is in oct, mums are great. they come in several colors.

the party was catered but we could have copied the menu and cooked for 100. food is optional, remember!

you can get married early and have brunch, as dd2 did. the highlight was a person who made the best omlets...no wedding cake. dd2 wanted an assortment of desserts.

remember costco and sam's club...they have an abundance of frozen goodies from mini quiches to spring rolls.

anyone a good seamtress? check the price of fabric to a purchased dress. want to save more? look for rentals, yes, rentals. or ebay! my cousin bought a dress for her dd, $185, decorated with beading and crystals! she had slight alterations my cousin was able to do. the retail was well over $500...

dd2 found her dress, $95, at the local marshall fields. it wasn't traditional as they were married on a beach. we used fresh flowers instead of veiling...

last, have a computer printer? look for wedding kits at office maxx, staples, for the invatations/announcements

o

Which part of the mountains do you want to have the wedding at (towards Boone or by Ashville)? You do have a great selection of parks to choose, many have covered pavillions with fireplaces you can reserve, they are very rustic. If you have a recreational site, by a lake, sometimes they have buildings you can rent for the day (not overnight). Many of these come with kitchen facilities, fireplace and tables&chairs.

Another option is to rent a nice house. You have a place to change, a kitchen, shelter from weather. . . many more options. Rentals would also allow you to set up and clean up at a more leasurely pace. A rental could double as housing for some of your guests, family or your own place. Houses by Grandfather Mountain range from simple A frames to homes large enough to sleep 15 to 20. Some rentals come with a club or community center membership -- perhaps you could arrange to use a clubhouse for the reception/ceremony? I realize this all comes at a price, but off season, (not during high Fall color, or skiing) some homes are reasonable.

Susan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wedding Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here