Return to the Wedding Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
engagement ring insurance-

Posted by row1 (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 30, 04 at 11:31

Just proposed! Finacee loves the engagement ring - thanks Blue Nile!
Now, how to insure? What have others done? Of course, appraisal value is like full retail price: I paid a bit more than 50% of the appraisal price.
Blue Nile jewelry steers you to a policy with Chubb. Also, I have learned that, although the value would fit well within my $44K homeowner's property (I don't have anywhere near $44k even though I have art, electronics, music instruments, tools, etc.), even if I accepted the negative of $1k deductible, they don't cover jewelry past $500 , so I would need a "scheduled personal property" deal.

Is it better to have a policy with my homeowner's ins? Or does anyone know of a good company/good rate for insuring an engagement ring that would cost a little more than ~5K to replace?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: engagement ring insurance-

Contact the company that handles your homeowner policy. They'll issue you a personal property rider, probably for less than a policy with a company without whom you have dealings with. Do you have a certified appraisal showing the value of the ring? If so, insure it for that price. If not, insure it for the price you paid, as you'll only collect that much. Discuss this with your agent; you don't want to overinsure it if they'll only pay back your actual costs.

o

Yep, personal property rider on the homeowner's insurance. It's at least worth getting a quote and paperwork (to read the fine print) and then doing the same with the folks that Blue Nile is recommending. Some policies cover theft, fire, etc., and some also include loss, dropping it down the disposal, or the stone(s) falling out.

o

We did it. Ring worth just over 5k. Rider on our homeowner's insurance. Don't have a clue as to what it is now, but 8 years ago, it was an extra 50 bucks a year.

I would say entirely worth it too. My setting snapped at the base about three years ago. I was frantic looking for the stone. Finally gave up. Ultimately found it in the bottom of my daughter's jammie drawer. Total luck.

We were just about to file a claim...

So yes, do it. I wouldn't do separate insurance. That's got to be more expensive than a rider, but I would research it to be sure.

o

Buy a SEPARATE policy for the jewelry, so you can get replacement value!

o

i have no idea!

o

Also, make sure to note what's covered on the rider. A basic policy only covers your ring under circumstances on a list: usually theft, fire, etc. That means if you lose the ring, and "losing the ring" isn't on the list, you're out of luck.

I paid extra to have a policy that doesn't only cover certain circumstances. That way if my ring is dropped down the garbage disposal, or whatever else, it's covered.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wedding Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here