Return to the Wedding Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wedding reception at work- need help!

Posted by faltered (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 1, 04 at 11:03

A co-worker of mine (the only guy in our department) got married a month or so ago. We'd like to throw him and his new bride a little reception here at work for them. It's going to be next week which doesn't leave us much time to plan.

We'll be having food, cake, punch, wine, etc. There will be decorations and such.

We'd like to play a few games that are wedding-related. There will be anywhere from 20 to 40 people at the reception. Does anyone have any ideas on what sort of games we could play?

Also, the 5 of us in his department would like to sing a little spoof of a wedding song (kind of personalize it about him and his wife) for fun. Any suggestions on what song to do?

Thanks all!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wedding reception at work- need help!

For games you could do something like have all the guests as well as the couple fill out an index card with preprinted questions such as how many kids the couple will have, what will they be doing in 10 years, what one good thing you predict, one bad thing...etc...its fun, we did this at a friend's wedding, and they read all teh answers on their fifth anniversary, it was funny to see how many were true, and how many were complete BS.

Song: I'd go with something you can spoof with, like "You're so vain" but chnage the words...

o

We had a shower game at our office. Someone brought in a bunch of spices (I think 15 to 20) and covered the labels. Everyone had a chance to sniff the spice and then write down what it was. Person who guessed the most spices won the prize. It was a good little game that both the men and women had fun participating in.

o

I vote for, don't play games at the office. Ask him to bring in pics of the event, and the song sounds fun.

"Turkey in the Straw" is easy to sing, and gives you lots of freedom w/ the rhythm.

o

If your co-workers are male, they won't enjoy games, so I agree with Talley Sue that it might be better to omit them and focus on the food, talk about the wedding, and fellowship. At a recent wedding, the mother of the bride wrote an adaptation of the song "A Bicycle Built for Two" (the bride and groom are avid cyclists). One of the bridesmaids and one of the groomsmen performed it and it was hilarious.

o

Hmm I've never heard of "Turkey in the Straw" or "A Bicycle Built for Two." I'll have to look into those. Thanks all for the suggestions.

I work at a local college, and we're about 90% women, plus a quarter of the workers are nuns. So we need to keep it mostly clean, which sometimes makes for a challenge.

o

Clean is always good, no matter what the setting. That way, you don't have to look back on anything and feel embarrassed.

o

I agree with Tally Sue - and many of us women don't like those games, either. I'd much prefer to hear about the wedding and see pictures, then chat with other guests.

o

I agree with you both- but no one else is taking my suggestions. I said that maybe we should just chat about the wedding, eat, etc. But they insist on games and a song.

Still haven't come up with anything, but thanks for the help.

Here is a link that might be useful: My website

o

Oh, I'd definitely tell the people that want the games and the song that they are in charge of it. Don't get stuck planning something you don't even like!

o

I agree with the previous poster...put someone else in charge of the games!

o

I agree, too. I would probably find games silly (although I'd go along with it so the hosts wouldn't feel bad). The main thing is, YOU don't like the idea. So put someone who does in charge of that, and you take care of some other aspect.

o

This morning I told my boss that I haven't been able to come up with any games to play. She said she'd take care of it. Phew!! And as for the song, I managed to find out what song they danced to at their wedding and I already have it at home. So I'm going to bring it in and play it- along with some other tunes. So the music is done!

Thanks all for the advice. Now I know to speak up earlier instead of getting stuck with things I don't like. I should have asked to plan the food instead! haha

Here is a link that might be useful: My website

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wedding Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here