Return to the Wedding Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How many bottles of wine do I need?

Posted by Marie26 (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 26, 05 at 1:38

The wedding is in a week and almost everything is planned. There will only be 18 adults at the wedding and we want to serve white and red wines. There will be wine served about 1/2 hour before the ceremony along with cheese/crackers and vegetable trays. The meal will be about 1/2 hour after the ceremony. During the 4 hours or so after the meal, I plan on having wine still available for anyone who wants it.

The sites I looked up said 1/2 bottle per person. Is this enough? Do places like Costco let you return unopened bottles? We did not want to offer any beer and the wedding is not at a restaurant-type place so there is no bar available. TIA for any advice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How many bottles of wine do I need?

I'm pretty sure that a bottle of wine is about 7 glasses' worth, so 1/2 a bottle would give your average guest less than one drink an hour. While I don't drink, that doesn't seem like a lot to me. Personally I'd allow at least a full bottle per person and maybe a couple extra on principle, and plan on using any spares as generic holiday/hostess gifts.
Are you also serving something non-alcoholic, such as orange juice? Non-drinkers like me and those limiting their alcohol intake would appreciate it :-)

o

Why not choose wines both you and your fiance like, that way you won't have to worry about buying too much.

I don't think 1/2 bottle for prewedding, dinner and post dinner is nearly enough. At the bare minimum I would order at least 18 bottles, that's only 1 1/2 cases. Remember, most places give you a 10% case discount. A lot of your decision will also depend on how many non-drinkers you have. You may also want to have a few bottles of champagne available for wedding cake and toasts.

If dinner is going to be something that goes with red wine than 67% of the wine should probably be red. If dinner is roasted chicken or lobster, I would do 100% white, plus champagne.

If you run out of wine just after dinner, I suspect your guests will depart shortly after - which may or may not be a good thing!

Good luck,

jerri

o

Thank you for confirming what I was thinking. Half a bottle per person for the whole evening didn't seem like a lot. I will go with the 18 bottles and get champagne. How much champagne do I need for just the toast part?

Also, besides tea and coffee, I was thinking of purchasing diet and regular colas (Coke and a clear one), seltzer water, bottled water and orange juice (thanks for that idea). Have I missed any? How many of each do you think I need?

o

since you don't mention any children, i'd go with a 12 pack of each soda, waters, and juice.

for the champagne toast with the cake, allow your half bottle per person.

really, with only 18 guests you pretty much know them very well and can anticipate their needs, without any worries of overindulgence...

remember, most of the canned beverage can be chilled as needed...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wedding Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here