Return to the Wedding Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Proper Wedding Attire for Reception after destination wedding

Posted by disneyamy12 (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 19, 09 at 12:47

I was married on October 10th at a small ceremony at a cabin in Georgia. My family at home in Michigan is having a reception for us this Saturday. My question is: would it be ok for me to wear my wedding dress for the party? I think that a lot of people would like to see it and I did love it but I don't want it to look funny. We are just having dinner and music. Thank you for your help.
Sincerely, Amy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Proper Wedding Attire for Reception after destination wedding

There are often receptions or parties after the wedding. But I have never seen anyone wearing a bridal gown at one just so those who weren't at the wedding could see it.

I'm assuming you are talking about a traditional wedding gown. But it was a small ceremony; perhaps you wore a terrific "regular" dress? If so, I absolutely would go ahead and wear it again for the party. That you wore it for your wedding doesn't mean it needs to be enshrined forever!

If it's a traditional gown and veil -- well, you know your group, and we don't. So I don't know if they really are all that worked up about seeing you wearing a wedding gown, or if they will be thinking it seems a bit silly, or some of each. In any case, I assume all these people love you, so I don't think you have a problem with anyone permanently thinking anything bad. If you have your heart set on wearing your gown again, who is it hurting?

I think the bigger issue is how YOU will feel. The fact that you are asking here makes me suspect that you feel uneasy about it, and if you plan to wear it, you will be second-guessing yourself from now until the party and all through the party, worried that you will feel foolish, which will reduce your own pleasure. If you wear a terrific regular outfit, you will for sure feel confident. Believe me, you will still be The Bride! Maybe wear some flowers, too.

Best wishes on your marriage, and have fun at your party whatever you decide to wear.

o

It is quite common to see the bride in her wedding dress at a later reception if the gown is "managable." One with a long train or otherwise quite elaborate is often uncomfortable when worn for a later reception. If you feel comfortable wearing the dress again, do so.

o

"But I have never seen anyone wearing a bridal gown at one just so those who weren't at the wedding could see it."

I have, and it was lovely. We really appreciated being able to see the bride's gorgeous gown and it made us feel more a part of the 'real' wedding celebration. (In her case, the couple's religion excluded those of other religions from being allowed inside the temple.)

Logistically, the bride and groom made an entrance shortly after the party's official beginning, then changed into more traditional party clothes afer an hour or so.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wedding Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here