Return to the Wedding Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
More tangled relationship stuff

Posted by scarlett2001 (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 21, 09 at 2:35

Boy, these folks are clueless. They have addressed an invitation to the bride's aunt (and her husband) and included "MaryLou", their daughter. However, MaryLou is 24. Should she not have her own invitation, plus "guest"?

Wonder if she will be seated at the kiddies' table?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: More tangled relationship stuff

MaryLou should recieve her own invitation. However, 'plus guest' is not necessary.

What did they decide for the invitation wording? They must have decided if they are up to addressing invitations.

o

I agree with Duckie. A 24 yo gets their own invitation, but a guest is not mandatory (now, is she is engaged or married, that is something else entirely).

o

If Mary Lou lives with her parents, I'd overlook the faux pas. The 'and guest' is entirely separate -- but hey, since we're 'dissing' Mary Lou anyway... ;-)

On the kiddie table, that actually happened to me when I was 21 and engaged to Ex. At his brother's wedding, 22 y.o. Ex (brother of the 23 y.o. groom) and I were seated in the very back of the hall with groom's 16 y.o. sister, 18 y.o. brother and six of the bride's under-10 cousins. Many years later, it still rankles...

o

"Boy, these folks are clueless."

Yup. World's full of 'em.

o

Oh, I don't know, I know it's incorrect, but I see plenty of invitations sent to the whole family, especially if the young adults are still living at home or are in school. So I wouldn't call them "clueless" over this. Think of it like including a response card -- it isn't actually correct, but it's so common that I can't call people "clueless" for doing it.

And they definitely were not "clueless" not to put "and guest" on the invitation, even if they had sent the daughter her own. You can do it if you like, but it is certainly not required, nor is it incorrect to omit it.

Sweeby, it doesn't sound like you were at the "kiddie" table, but at the siblings' and cousins' table. They were treating you like family. It might not be as much fun for you as a table full of your friends, but I can't call that a "dis." It's not always easy to do the tables, anyway -- there is usually one that includes both, say, young adults and college students, or college and high school. I'm sure the 20-somethings resent being placed with the students, or college with high school, but the hosts are probably just thinking of it as "young singles" or something -- guest lists rarely work themselves out into neat groups of 8 or 10 of a kind, you know! So someone has to bridge the gap, just as someone has to sit at the leg of the table. Listen, think what we have to put up with: as a clergy couple, can you imagine what it's like when people put us with the religious relatives from out of town? Party, party, party! But they have to seat them someplace. We make the best of it and have fun anyway.

o

"Boy, these folks are clueless."

Let's send the etiquette police after them to lock them up? ;=) In the cosmic scheme of social faux pas, this is kind of low on the list.

And I agree that "and guest" is not required. Nobody is required to invited unknown strangers to their wedding.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wedding Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here