Return to the Wedding Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Niece getting married

Posted by Susan_in_NC (My Page) on
Mon, Sep 26, 05 at 20:42

I just received a shower invitation for a shower for my niece. Now, I dont truly have a question, just want to vent!

Several years ago, after her parents broke up in a nasty separation (so I do understand where the hurt came from) she told some members of my family that she didnt want to have anything to do with us. She had been close to my daughter (who is just a few months younger than she is). We were told that although we had not done anything to her YET, she just couldnt trust any of us. Now for the part that is hurtful to me my family had never been supportive to her. All contact was broke with us, but contact was maintained with one of my sisters (who partied with the nieces dad). Family friends in another state heard over a year ago about the upcoming wedding. We have not been told anything nor have we been invited to the wedding.

So, now I have an invitation to the shower, given by the brides sister. By the way, MOB was a BIG etiquette snob that told my family that we were gauche. Invitation as said is from immediate family, plus it has registry information printed on the bottom of the invitation. Plus, when I did go look at the list, there are two different dates for the wedding, one about 6 months from now, the other in 2007!

Now, as I said this was to vent. Yes, she is my niece and despite some callous treatment by a very immature young lady, I will respond as a loving Aunt, even if the wedding invitation never is sent but needed to get some grief out of my system! I see a Bridezilla on her way . . .

The shower is several hours from where I live, and as a joke, I have considered arriving to "Surprise" my nieces and announce that I was "staying with them to catch up". Of course, I would never do that, but it is fun to roll it around a bit.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Niece getting married

you wrote:
my family had never been supportive to her.

Was this what you meant to write?

Bcs if it is, of course she didn't want to stay in touch.

But if you meant "never been ANYTHING BUT supportive," then I can understand your hurt.

I'm sorry to hear of the rift in your family, and to hear that this invitation is not becoming something that would heal the rift.

I know that I invited people to my wedding as a way to rekindle a neglected friendship; it worked, for a while. I'm sorry this isn't going to happen in your family's case.

Best of luck!

o
RE: Niece getting married

Tally_Sue,

Yes, my typo.we have been very supportive. My older sister who is also being cut off (brother said we aren't "fun enough") went to great trouble to "remeber" nieces when she and her husband were unemployed -- hand making the most amazing dresses and dolls. When asked what happened to these gifts, she once said her mom told her they didn't match "her style" and they gave them away. Similar things were made for my children and I assure you they were priceless.

My sister feels that this shower invitation is just to see what they can "get out of us" not a way to draw the family closer. I tend to agree, but will respond -- maybe not as generously as I would for other nieces who have not cut us out of their lives.

Now, I have re-read this. However, I have always had a problem finding my own errors -- I read it the way I meant to type it!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wedding Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here