Return to the Wedding Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Unity Candles at outdoor ceremony

Posted by Dedtired (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 11, 04 at 19:57

My niece will be married outdoors, near the Chesapeake Bay. She and her fiance want to have a Unity Candly ceremony and she has asked me to work out the details.

I'm sure it will be breezy. Right now I plan to have the tapers in individual hurricane lamps that are wider at the top so they can reach in to get the candles, although I'm worried that it will still be awkward. The unity candle will be in a regular hurricane chimney and will be easy to reach.

Any ideas about a better way to do this?? Also, how do you decorate around the candles?

I really don't want to mess this up. I believe they will not be doing the "mothers lighting the candles" thing because my niece's mother (my sister) is no longer living.

That's the reason I want this to go smoothly -- because I am doing it for my sister. They will also have a candle in her memory and my niece is wearing my sister's wedding dress.

Thanks!

Pam

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Unity Candles at outdoor ceremony

I would use the hurrican glass, along with a long butane candle lighter. A long match would work inside, but I'd be afraid that they'd blow out.

o

I'm a wedding coordinator. Most of my clients have started doing the sand ceremony at outdoor locations because of the wind problems. The significance of the sand ceremony is similar to that of the unity candle and it can be accomplished must more easily. Would your niece be open to changing from the unity candle to the sand? I have the words to the reading that goes with it if you would like them.

o

Thanks so much for responding. Yes, I believe hurricanes are essential outdoors, I am just worried that it will be clumsy to lift out the tapers to light the Unity candle.

I have never heard of the sand ceremony! I'll ask my niece what she thinks. They are both environmental scientists, so this may be very appealing to them.

I suppose the trick is to use very pretty sand bottles, since candles are so mush prettier than sand!! i least I think so.

Any other ideas or suggestions are welcome, especially if you actually did an out door candle ceremony.

Thank goodness I have sons and will never have to plan a wedding.I will wear beige and keep my mouth shut.

Pam

o

For the sand ceremony, the couple can purchase sand in two colors at craft stores. They fill two clear glass side containers, each with a different color of sand. Then, during the ceremony they pour the sand into a larger clear glass center container as the officiant reads the words.

o

I went to a wedding where they did the sand ceremony. The groom had proposed to the bride on the beach. The sand they used was collected from the same spot where he proposed... I thought it was very touching!

SweetPea, I would love to see a copy of the sand ceremony. TIA

~Wendy

o

Here is the wording for it:

Sand Ceremony as an Alternative to the Unity Candle

If you choose not to use a Unity Candle during your ceremony, the sand ceremony can be a beautiful and meaningful addition to your vows. Simply find three containers, one for you and your fianc to pour the sand into, two for each of you to pour the sand from. You can find colored or plain sand at most craft stores. After the officiant reads the text below (or any text you choose), pour the two containers of sand into the third container simultaneously. You may wish to leave a small amount of sand in each container to symbolize that although you are now joined as one, you each remain individuals.

_______ and _______, you have just sealed your relationship by the giving and receiving of rings. This covenant is a relationship pledge between two people who agree that they will commit themselves to one another throughout their lives. The most beautiful example of this partnership is the marriage relationship. You have committed here today to share the rest of your lives with each other. Today, this relationship is symbolized through the pouring of these two individual containers of sand, one, representing you, _______ and all that you were, all that you are, and all that you will ever be, and the other representing you, _______, and all that you were and all that you are, and all that you will ever be. As these two containers of sand are poured into the third container, the individual containers of sand will no longer exist, but will be joined together as one. Just as these grains of sand can never be separated and poured again into the individual containers, so will your marriage be.

o

Wow, I really have to disagree with some of the wording for that sand ceremony. You certainly do continue to exist as an individual despite getting married.

o

Hi -- just to follow up. The wedding was yesterday, Sept 26. It was on the shores of the Chesapeake Bay. The weather was mostly sunny and breezy!

I used two hurricane lamps that looked like big brandy snifters for the individual candles. They had to reach in from the top to get them out, so I sunk the candles in sand rather than use candlesticks. It worked perfectly, The unity candle was a piller inside a hurricane, but just below the top of the glass, so they could easily reach it.

We used a butane lighter for mothers lighting the candles. The only problem was that they put the ugly green lighter down in front of the candles on the table, where it would have appeared in every picture!

When everyone was "oohing and aahing" over the cute little ring bearers, i quickly went to the front and hid the lighter in the back of the candle display. I could do this because it wasn't in a church, it was a fairly informal setting.

I'm glad it's over and the only mistake was the minister said my niece's last name wrong. What a dope.

Thanks for your help!

Pam

o

I have a different version of the Sand Ceremony. We are also having an outside ceremony and opted for to use the Sand Ceremony. Our version incorporates Christ (if your niece is religious).

Here's it is:

Sand Ceremony

Minister:

"Bride and Groom, you have just sealed your relationship by giving and receiving of rings and this covenant is a relationship pledge between two people who agree that they will commit themselves to one another throughout their lives. You are committing here today to share the rest of your lives with one another. Today, this relationship is symbolized through the pouring of these three individual containers of sand into a fourth one. One, representing you, Bride, and all that you were, all that you are, and all that you will ever be. One, representing you, Groom, and all that you were, all that you are, and all that you will ever be. The third one represents Christ, all that He is and all will forever be. As these three containers of sand are poured into the fourth container, the individual containers of sand continue to exist, but a fourth entity is also created; on which did not exist before but one which will forever more continue to be.

Just as the individual grains of sand can never again be separated and poured again into the individual containers, so your marriage will be.

(Minister pours the Christ layer) This layer represents Christ who is and always will be the foundation of you both as individuals.

Bride, pour some of your sand which will represent you as an individual. Groom, pour some of your sand which will represent you as an individual.

(Minister pours more of the Christ layer) This layer represents Christ as the foundation of your marriage.

Bride and Groom, now pour your remaining sand into the container together to represent the joining of your two individual lives into this union of marriage."

o

I really like your version - much more meaningful.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wedding Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here