Return to the Wedding Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Timing of reception after the destination wedding...

Posted by jadiesmom (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 14, 07 at 11:15

Alright...as most of you know we are doing a local reception after the destination wedding. I know that "SOME" of you don't even like the idea of destination weddings anyway, but the ball is rolling and we are moving ahead. We are having a local reception here after the wedding. I want to get the reception done as soon as we get back just to get the wedding stuff done and over with.

My fiance wants to wait until summer. I think waiting till summer will only drag it out and will seem like we are fishing for a gift or something after the fact.

His arguement is based on the date. We are getting married November 8th and I want the reception to be the Saturday after we get back. He thinks it is too close to the holidays and is too much to do at once. What do you guys think?

I KNOW - people are busy with holiday stuff, but it is right before the season gets underway, so to me, the sooner the better. I want to do it while everyone is still in "wedding mode" and not put it off. I just think it would be tacky to wait so long after the fact to have a reception.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Timing of reception after the destination wedding...

the rest of us only care so much about your wedding.

I mean, we're happy for you and all, but your wedding isn't THAT big a deal to us. We can't stay excited about it for months and months. We aren't going to worship at the altar of someone else's wedding.

We can stay excited for a few weeks, while your marriage is still pretty new. But if we've seen very much of you in the meantime, why are we suddenly celebrating w/ a party now?

I think you are right about people being in "wedding mode." Having a party in the summer to celebrate your wedding SIX MONTHS AGO OR MORE! would be total anticlimax.

I'd be thinking, "Enough already!"

I say, the reception should be within a month or the wedding itself. Maybe 6 weeks, at the MOST. If you're going to put it off for much longer, then just don't bother.

In fact, I think it's important to have the reception BEFORE people have sent you Christmas cards as a married couple, and before you've sent them out in your new married status.

Stick to your guns.

o

I also vote for having the reception soon after the wedding. If you have it the weekend after the wedding, that would be the 16-17-18th, which would be before Thanksgiving and the start of any holiday plans for most people.

Another option, which is popular in my area, would be to have it the Saturday after Thanksgiving. That way, if you have out of town relatives or friends who might be visiting in your community for Thanksgiving, they get to attend your reception as well. I agree that waiting for 6 or more months is too long into the future for a wedding reception.

o

Add me to the list of sooner rather then later. I would think the summer season would be even more busy then before the holidays get started. During the summer people go on vacation, go to summer weddings, etc. Less people would be available to attend your party because of prior commitments. You are correct to want the reception in November. NancyLouise

o

Thanks Ladies...I am just about loaded up with reception ammo for the reception debate with him.

My sister teases me because I make plans to make plans! Thanks for hanging in with me! (You too Tally Sue) :)

o

Another vote for soon. I think even 6 weeks is pushing it. If he wants to wait several months, then wait a year and have a first anniversary party instead.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wedding Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here