Return to the Wedding Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Nice idea for Catholic weddings....

Posted by granny2ricky (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 3, 04 at 0:20

Did you know that if you are Catholic, you can have your marriage blessed by the Pope himself? You need simply send one of your wedding invitations to the Vatican for a blessing, along with a donation. You will then be sent a papal blessing which can be framed and treasured for a life time for it's deep and special meaning. Ask your priest to provide you with information on precisely where and whom to address the invitation.

Vikki~~

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Nice idea for Catholic weddings....

You can also get a card from the President. You can do it by sending an invite or (I've read) you can do it through the White House website.

Here are the addresses:

President of the United States
Greetings Office
Room 39
Washington, DC 20500

His Holiness
Pope John Paul II
Palazzo Apostolico Vaticano
Vatican City, EUROPE

o

You can send me an invitation and a sizeable cash donation, and I'll give you my best wishes as well. I'll send back an email suitable for framing.

o

Spewey, what a snotty response to something that is meaningful to many people (i.e., the papal blessing).

granny2ricky, my sister and BIL have a papal blessing, framed, and hanging in their home. It means a great deal to them. My late uncle was a priest and married them, and he applied for the papal blessing for them and announced it to them at their wedding ceremony (i.e., that it would be coming from Rome). They were very touched.

o

You can also apply for a Presidential greeting for anyone celebrating an 80th or greater birthday and for the birth of a baby. Do you know if Papal blessings can be obtained for such events?

o

We received one from the Office of The White House. It arrived before our wedding and I placed it on the Groom's Table next to Drew's Groom's Cake. It really was very special as Drew happened to be assigned to the Crew of Air Force One with three presidents during his Air Force Career. It is framed and has a very special place in our home. I think you can see it in the picture on our web site if you look for the pictures of Drew's Groom's table.

Here is a link that might be useful: Drew and Sherrie Lynns

o

What a great idea! I wish I had known about sending an invitation to the President. It would have been a special keepsake. Oh well! It will have to wait for our 80th birthdays, I guess! :-) I will have to tell this to my friends who are getting married.

Thanks for sharing the information.

o

Spewey, you made me laugh out loud! We need our sense of humor the most during wedding planning, it breaks the tension.

o

Spewey....I'll split the framing costs....it you'll split the donation!
Don't ya just love people with a great sense of humor!!??

o

Spewey,
I thought the same thing - you are funny!

On the subject - I didn't know that you can have your marriage blessed by the pope. I can see this having special meaning to a lot of catholic people. That was nice information to share with everyone.

o

Couldn't have said it better myself Spewey. I don't think it's humor I think it's the truth.

o

But not joking here - what is an appropriate amount to send for a donation? I wouldn't have any idea. Is there a suggested number or is it a percentage of your wedding costs or what?

o

Spewey ,

you cracked me up...that was great.
I am catholic and having a catholic wedding and it sounds like a great idea...the Papal blessing that is...
Lol, the presidential "blessing" will have to depend on who the president is...

o

I found this site that has some info

http://www.ultimatewedding.com/articles/get.php?action=getarticle&articleid=733

o

Does anyone know if you can apply for a papal blessing after your wedding? I got married in Jan 08 and am just now seeing this and would like to get it done.

o

We had a wonderful letter from the Queen of England in which she espressed "her dearest wish that only her Charles had done so well!"

In reality, it was a hysterical letter done in the most beautiful calligraphy on gorgeous paper by a friend of the groom. Definitely the hit of the wedding!

o

Thank God I'm getting married next year. There will be a new president by then.

o

Even if I had a personal dislike to the current President, I think it would still be cool. I respect the office he holds, even if the person is not the one I would have chosen.

Heck, I kind of feel that way about the Pope too, now that I think about it!

o

I'm both Catholic and American and I wouldn't take the energy to get either greeting or blessing! Seems kind of hollow coming from someone you supposedly have never met or conversed with (or voted for!) I'd rather have Spewey's endorsement! Post your address please, LOL!

o

To jcowill:

Yes, you can get a papal blessing after the wedding; our children gave us one for our anniversary. I think the usual way is through your parish pastor, or the bishop's office; they can at least get you on the right path.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wedding Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here