Return to the Wedding Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can 'inexpensive' satin purses be dyed?

Posted by Glitter53 (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 24, 04 at 17:43

I think this store (which, incidently, sells upscale satin purses) is blowing smoke: they said that inexpensive satin purses can't be dyed. That we had to get some that have a fabric swatch attached that says they can be dyed. I'm thinking of all the satin shoes over the years that have been dyed to match the b'maids dresses, and many weren't expensive! Anyone have any experience with this?
Help?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can 'inexpensive' satin purses be dyed?

I would be concerned that the thread would not dye the same as the fabric of the purse. Can you buy one and try it out first?

o

I would also be concerned that the dye might "run." You definitely don't want the color to bleed onto the dress that it is being worn with.

o

Hmmm...this doesn't sound too promising...I bought 3 purses for my DD's b'maids that weren't the $40 ones she was going to have to buy them....thought I'd done good ;-D
Perhaps a few calls to other dyeing places...I still think tons of inexpensive satin shoes over the years have been successfully dyed....Thanks for your suggestions and cautions...!

o

You are right that lots of inexpensive shoes have been dyed. I remember one wedding where the lawn was damp from a brief rain storm and the bridemaid's shoes ran. They were walking around holding up their skirts so that they didn't get the dye on their hemlines.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wedding Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here