Return to the Wedding Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
dinner music...

Posted by morrisonsMYmuse (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 21, 05 at 17:35

during dinner at my reception, i plan to play a collection of beautiful love songs from the forties... (i love forties music). i was inspired after i watched the movie 'The Notebook' but i don't really know much about music from that era. anyone have any suggestions of good songs to play or artists to look into? i kind of wanted softer music to be playing during dinner and we're going to move to more modern music when it comes time to dance... any ideas anyone?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: dinner music...

'Swonderful (Smarvelous, that I'm in love with you...)

Think of all the songs from the Big Band Era. I am sure there is a site someone will refer you to so that you can check on dates of songs. Look at late night TV commercials for collections from the '30s and 40's.

o

I think Linda Ronstadt did an album of 40's music several years ago...and yes, it was an *album*, not a CD, which tells you how long ago it was.

Anyway, if I remember correctly, it was quite a nice compilation of Big Band standards. I'll see if I can find more info on it.

o
RE: Linda Ronstadt

Okay...just checked on the Linda Rondstadt Big Band music. The one I was remembering -- her first, I think -- was "What's New". But she evidently did two more Big Band albums/CD's. They are "Lush Life" and "For Sentimental Reason". Amazon has all three. Nelson Riddle's orchestra is on all three.

o

Nelson Riddle is good -- go for it. He is of that era.

o

Louis Armstrong has some good ones. And you can't go wrong with Etta James.

o

can i get the names of some songs please... i've spent hours sifting through music and have only turned up four songs that i really like...

o

Preferences in music can be so varied...

Perhaps if you tell us the names of the four songs you have found that you like, that would give us an idea of your taste in music, and the style you are looking for (dreamy vs. peppy vs. boogy, etc.)

o

Try Glenn Miller- somthing like String of Pearls, Moonlight Serenade, etc; Benny Goodman- Anything For You, Taking a Chance on Love etc; Artie Shaw, Tommy Dorsey.... depends on if you're looking for "Love" type titles or a style of music.

o

When I was looking for music for my parent's 50th wedding anniversary in 1999, I went to the time-life website to find out which songs were most popular in that era. Also, you can hear a portion of the song you've chosen.

I'd imagine you can burn your own CD's now, but back at that time I found some CD's and that's what we played as soft background music during dinner. I gave my parents the CD's afterwards and they loved hearing "their era music".

Good Luck ~~ katclaws

o
re: dinner music...

I also forgot to mention www.musicchoice.com! They play songs on DishTV. You can look under Big Bands & Swing, plus a ton of other catagories like ShowTunes, Singers & Standards etc.

o

"Classic" Sinatra songs would fit in as well.

Fly Me to the Moon
I've Got You Under My Skin
Strangers in the Night
It Was a Very Good Year
Witchcraft
All of Me (or was that Tony Bennett?)

o

Benny Goodman's probably too early--his career started in the 1920s, reached its peak in 1938, and had begun to fade in the '40s.

Here is a link that might be useful: downloads of 1940s and early '50s music

o

Linda Ronstadt's 40's songs are great, but definitely in the sad category, lots of unrequited love, etc. I don't think it would produce the mood you are looking for.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wedding Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here