Return to the Wedding Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mother of the Bride

Posted by lgiorgi (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 2, 07 at 14:19

I live on Long Island and I as wondering what other moms wear at their child's wedding. I found a dress and it has a full skirt. The saleswoman said that was in stype I don't know. I am attaching a photo. It is listed as MOB but of course they show a woman in their twenties. I would get a copper color or a berry color. It comes with a shawl.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mother of the Bride

Me again. The flower on the side is not on the dress it is a brouch. Makes a difference on appearance. Thanks for any input at all.

o

I think that dress is beautiful. I am also a MOB & my dress is a navy strapless. That is the style right now.Mine comes with a little jacket. Go for it!!

o

If the wedding will be a very formal evening affair, the dress would be okay. If the wedding is semi-formal or held in the daytime, the dress may be too much. It is beautiful.

o

The dress is lovely, and if you love it and love how you feel in it, go for it. Wear the shawl for the ceremony, especially if it is a religious ceremony. You'll be glad you have it at the reception, too, if the room is chilly!

I agree with sweet pea, though, that this dress is only appropriate if the wedding is dressy and is in the evening. Evening clothes are evening clothes, and no matter how important and formal a daytime event is, evening clothes look silly, like a child playing dress-up. A bride and perhaps bridesmaids can get away with long gowns for daytime, but not guests or even moms and grandmas (ditto black tie for men). If the wedding is before, say, 5 pm, get a fabulous daytime dress or suit instead.

o

Thanks again for the input. My daughters wedding is a black tie affair. Men wear tuxedos. I really loved the dress but I went shopping again with my daughter and found something else. I am going to [post a picture and maybe everyone can give it a thumbs up or down. Thanks everybody. You all are great.
Lynn

o

Ok here is the photo of the dress I am buying. It comes in burgandy, pewtar coco and cafe. It also has a wrap. What do you think?
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

o

Also lovely. I wish I had the height and figure to carry off either one of those dresses! What color are you thinking of getting? You will look gorgeous.

Are you just looking at dresses from "mother of the bride" collections? This is a beautiful dress, and if you love how you look and feel in it, you should buy it. But if it is not the dress of your dreams and you aren't sick of shopping, don't forget to look at your usual favorite store(s). The bridal industry tries to get as much business as they can, but there is really no reason that you have to shop at a bridal store. Most of the MOBs and MOGs I see just get their dresses at regular stores.

o

Gorgeous! I also wish that I had the height to carry off a dress like that.

o

Thank you, but how tall do you think I should be to wear this dress?

o

IMHO, I think that even if you were only 5' tall this dress would look good on you as long as you're slim (size 2,4,6,8) with good arms.
Obviously, the taller you are the better you can carry more weight, but I get the feeling that you're toned and in good shape.

o

I really like them both and can't wait to see a picture of the one you choose ! :-)

o

again a lovely choice...as for color..it depends on brides colors or time of year...i like darker colors for the fall/winter...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wedding Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here