SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
autumnbride

Post Wedding What to do (Part 2)

AutumnBride
19 years ago

Thank you to those of you who took the time to give me feedback on the original post. I had decided to keep my distance from my SIL, but continue to send cards during the holidays.

Well, there has been a recent developement which has been wondering if I need to change my tune. SIL is now pregnant with her BF's baby. The baby is due in late January. According to MIL, they are planning on getting married before the baby is born.

SIL called DH last week to tell him about the pregnancy. She did not ask about DH or me, although they haven't talked to each other in months. She didn't even mention that they were thinking of getting married.

I am wondering if I ought to extend myself more then I planned because she is going to have a baby. DH is worried that I am just going to get hurt, but understands how I feel. I think that having a baby is such a happy thing, but his sister is still her - meaning she isn't going to magically change just because she is having a baby. She is still selfish and hostile. And, now she is permanently connected to her BF, who my DH and I cannot stand to be around.

Do you think that the upcoming baby and marriage changes things or do you think that I should still stay distant? Is there away that DH and I can still try establishing a relationship? We agreed that we both think that our feelings matter - that in order to have a relationship with them we would need to talk to them about why we all haven't been talking - namely talk about what happened at our wedding. We don't want a big white elephant in the room all the time - and we think that if we just pretend everything is okay that we are telling them that we didn't care (by omission, we are letting them think that nothing bothers us) - which is very wrong. We don't want them to step all over us again.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Comments (4)