Return to the Wedding Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Flowers for an October wedding

Posted by Bridejenna (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 1, 14 at 13:02

Hi everyone!

I'll be getting married next year and I would like to know what are the best flowers for my wedding which will be happening in October. We haven't come up with a theme yet so any suggestion is highly appreciated!

TIA!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Flowers for an October wedding

It always saves money to choose flowers that are in season. It also feels right; tulips in November don't feel as right as tulips in spring.

What that means will depend on where you are. Here in Ohio, it's the beginning of autumn. Chyrsanthemums, asters, and sedum are in bloom. Colored autumn leaves are beautiful here, too.

Are you using a florist? Ask them for suggestions. My best advice is to tell the florist the budget, then let them tell you what is the best thing they can do for that money.

o

This is the perfect time to interview florists, and visit several and ask for ideas that are within your budget. Where you are will determine what's available, but each florist will have different ideas,

o

Fall flowers are very easy - don't try to invent the wheel yourself, get a good florist. It doesn't have to be expensive.

o

Thanks for the replies!

@gellchom - I'm in Cali and I wouldn't mind having Chrysanths on our wedding. I love those! :)

@sushipup and scarlett2001- You're right and I don't want to be overwhelmed by flower planning. Perhaps talking to 3 florists would work?

o

Definitely talk to several florists. Go into each with your budget, the venue and time/date, and ask for a rough idea. No one would expect you to NOT interview several florists.

o

Have you picked your venue yet? Many venues decorate for the seasons and you can get a free ride in the areas you may be using. For example, my daughter got married in December and the room in which we held the pre-dinner cocktail hour was decked out in candles and garlands. But if it had been in the fall, the venue would have likewise decorated. Also I think the style or feel of the venue/time of day helps sway the flower selections. I think determining a theme first would be preferable.

For the dining room, My daughter went online and bought inexpensive but beautiful candle stands and pillar candles. Then all that was required was baby's breath surrounding them. And the candle stands and candles went home with selected guests.

My daughter found a picture of bouquets in Martha Stewart Living that she loved but would have been pricey. We brought the picture to the florist to show them her vision. They were able to recreate the look by using less expensive elements.

When the cake was delivered to the venue and placed on the serving table, the florist had reserved baby's breath and some other flowers (same as in bouquets) and placed it around the base of the cake. Very inexpensive yet effective.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wedding Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here