Return to the Wedding Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is 'cocktail attire?'

Posted by camlan (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 17, 05 at 12:51

I'm going to the wedding of my cousin's only son in November. The weddding is near Charleston, SC. I'm from Boston, so I don't know the prevailing dress code.

The wedding is at 4:30 on one of the barrier islands. The reception is at 5:30 at a country club on the mainland. The couple's wedding web site says that dress is "cocktail attire." I"m guessing this means I don't have to wear a long dress?

I have never been to a cocktail party in my life. Around here, I think the suitable attire for such a party would be a little black dress or a suit.

Is anyone from the South? Is black OK to wear to a wedding? I don't want to commit an enormous faux pas. Just how dressy is "cocktail attire?" I think I'm going to have to get something new for this one.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is 'cocktail attire?'

Cocktail attire would mean, well, a cocktail dress. Not formal, but not casual or business. It would be street length or tea length and fairly dressing.

o

In most areas of the country a black cocktail dress would be perfect, but the South tends to be more conservative and in some areas wearing black to a wedding is still a symbol of disapproval of the marriage. Perhaps someone who lives in SC can give you an idea of the appropriateness of a black dress. Do stay away from a long dress.

o

Some kind of evening fancy dress, not long. A chiffon or silky (spaghetti strap, sleevless, strapless, fancy sleeved) dress with or without beading or a few sequins. Evening shoes and little evening purse. Bring a scarf or pashmina shawl if it is outdoors.

o

I think the idea is a short dress or skirt or a pants outfit, with evening fabrics, shoes, and accessories. I'd wear a party dress or good slacks and a dressy top with "party" shoes and evening accessories. They want you looking like you're dressed to celebrate, not for the office.
If you already have something perfect that is black, I think you will be fine if you have plenty of festive color and detail in your outfit -- scarf, jewelry, jacket, accessories -- i.e., that it's clearly a party outfit, not something you could wear in the daytime to a funeral! I know the symbolism of black at weddings holds in some places, but I bet you'd fit in better with a sharp little black party dress than with, say, a severe navy blue or gray business suit.

o

i'm from georgia and most people i know (uner the age of fifty) think that it is perfectly acceptable to wear black to a wedding. I think that a little black dress would be perfect for the wedding (but you could ask someone just to be sure). you should dress it up a bit though, with a bright scarf or jacket.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wedding Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here