SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kristie_tn

We invited people to the 'wedding party' and not the wedding.

kristie_tn
18 years ago

I read a post similar to my question, but it was the opposite circumstances.

We're getting married in my church, with just our immediate family present (about 22 people). Then we're all changing into casual clothes and going to an island, where we'll have food, and fun, and hopefully a relaxing time.

I've mentioned to pretty much everyone what my plans were ahead of time. I didn't want a big wedding with lots of guests (second marriage for both and he has grown kids and I have two teens). But I did want to invite more family and our friends to just come celebrate with us at a casual fun outdoor party afterwards.

I'm worried because I know a few people are planning to bring gifts to the party. I never intended that (or anticpated it!) and I'm concerned that possibly they don't realize we'll already be married when we get there and there won't be a wedding.

What is appropriate for this situation? I didn't exactly word the invitation to say the party is "after" the wedding. But I think everyone already knew. Are they going to feel slighted if they bring a gift and didn't get to witness the marriage? The other post seemed to indicate they might feel slighted if they brought a gift and didn't get to go to the reception, so I hope I'm ok on this.

Comments (5)