Return to the Wedding Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Thinking about not having a dinner

Posted by Chrissielou (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 11, 14 at 11:02

Hi, we are slowly making plans for our upcoming wedding, we were thinking about an evening wedding (8pm) and we are wondering if our guests would be expecting supper at that time of night. We were thinking of having finger foods during the dance. Has anyone tired this before and how has their guests felt about it? Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Thinking about not having a dinner

Chrissielou.

The guests will be there to celebrate with you. Bet they'd love the finger foods plus the cake.

Congrats. Relax, Enjoy.

o

I agree with Roslew ...

o

If we were invited to an 8pm wedding we would not be expecting a meal. If there is a dance following then definitely have finger foods to counter the effects of any potential alcohol.

o

I don't know; I would probably at least a light supper even at an 8 pm wedding if the invitation didn't specify one way or the other, But -- that doesn't mean it would have to be a seated meal; finger foods would be fine, as long as they are substantial enough for people to feel fed. You don't want your guests to leave early because they didn't eat before they came.

Otherwise, I would make it a dessert reception and specify that in the invitation.

o

For an evening wedding guests would not be expecting a meal after the ceremony. The ceremony, pictures afterwards would make the timeline for a dinner impractical IMO. A variety of finger foods is a good idea. Wine and one signature drink offered should cover those that wish to drink. As well as non-alcohol beverages. Your wedding cake and cookies could be the dessert, with coffee and tea to drink. Maybe a champagne toast before you cut the cake. Congratulations and best wishes to you both. NancyLouise

o

Please do specify in your invitation, like Gellchom mentioned. Because people will be obtuse and not eat dinner first. Don't make any assumptions, because people will always make the wrong choices if it isn't spelled out for them. (And even then, you'll have a few.)

But yes, not having a dinner at that hour is perfectly fine.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wedding Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here