Return to the Wedding Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grooms cake?

Posted by granny2ricky (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 9, 04 at 10:50

I need some ideas for a witty saying to put on my son's grooms cake.....something funny but nice....I love our DIL to be! Don't want hurt feelings! :O) Any ideas that you have??

Thanks
Vikki~~

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grooms cake?

Hi Granny, Nana here. I'm a MOB next summer. As I have been living on the net the last few weeks since this wedding thing came about, I read quite a bit about the bride picking out the grooms cake as a surprise to him - the theme, how it's decorated, etc. Does FDIL want to be included in this? My DD wants her groom's cake to be in the shape of a shirt and decorated like in a tropical theme. The theme for their reception is Jimmy Buffet, Margaritaville (I swear that kid dances to her own tune!) and since her FH is a big Buffet fan, that's how she wants to surprise him.
What hobbies or special interests does your son have?

o

Now that is the wedding I wish they'd have! Sounds like more fun and less stress! LOL.....my son love tatoos! I hate them so won't go there with the cake! My FDIL doesn't want anything else to stress over....the cake she is leaving up to me! I just wanted something funny to say on the top......good luck with your wedding plans...glad ours are just about over.....this Sunday, the 15th YeeHaw!!!!!!

Vikki~~

o

I wanted to surprise my hubby with his groom's cake at our wedding. My first idea for a cake: a large football with his nickname and old football number on it--he loves sports--and then take some pictures of when he was younger and put them in matching frames and place them around the cake. When it came down to the time to get the pictures, I couldn't get ahold of any so I just went with a large sheet cake with a green background, large brown football in the middle and his nickname and football number on it. The cake was chocolate on the inside......It turned out so much better than what I had thought---we got a lot of compliments on it.

There were several people at our wedding that told us they had never seen a groom's cake!!??!! I thought that was part of tradition.

Goodluck...Springbride04

o

I had never heard of a Groom's cake until I starting researching for DS up-coming wedding. I believe it's a southern tradition????? I love the way the web has opened up a whole new world for sharing new ideas!

~Wendy

o

Groom's cakes are indeed a southern tradition. The original groom's cakes were fruit cake. The cake was cut in small squares and guests were given a piece in a tiny box to take home. Single men and women were to put the cake under their pillow, then they would dream of the person that they would marry. Sounds messy to me. Today, groom's cakes are quite common as a fun way to stretch the amount of cake needed without adding an additional layer to the wedding cake. Most often they are chocolate unless you find a very traditional southern bride who still wants fruit cake.

o

I had never heard of a groom's cake either. So I brought the groom's parents to our wedding cake baker to plan what they wanted. Their southern family tradition was to decorate the cake with their coat of arms, and they had a picture of his cousin's groom's cake as a sample idea. That cake was awful looking, and you could tell that the groom's parents wanted something that was nicer looking. Our baker did a splendid job, and they used the 3 tiered chocolate groom's cake as the dessert for the rehearsal dinner the night before. It was displayed as the center of attention for the dinner aboard a party yacht sailing the harbor on a summer's night. Everyone was happy with the beautiful cake decorated with chocolate sea shells, "sand," and a chocolate placque of the family coat of arms. I see many grooms cakes in our region these days, but they are all rather formal affairs as a rule, though a few will have a sports or career theme.

o

That sounds lovely, as does the rehearsal dinner.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wedding Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here