Return to the Wedding Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
non traditional wedding questions

Posted by kkbad (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 6, 09 at 19:42

A friend of mine from college just got married for the second time. She lives in Europe and the wedding ceremony was there. She and her new husband are traveling to the States to have a wedding reception with family and friends. It appears that the wedding will be outdoors and quite casual (on a lake and the map recommended we bring lawn chairs). The bride and groom are not registered anywhere that I know of and I cannot imagine that they want to ship gifts to Europe after they return home. Do we just give cash as a gift? If so, how much? I am not trying to be stingy, but this wedding is far outside the wedding etiquette that I am familiar with and I am at a loss.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: non traditional wedding questions

Since she is a college friend, would a donation in their names to your alma mater be appropriate?

o

I don't understand what your comment that "this wedding is far outside the wedding etiquette that I am familiar with" has to do with anything. Why would the circumstances of the wedding and reception (which really aren't so unusual anyway) make a difference in your choice of a gift? The gift is for the marriage, not for the wedding.

The only factors I can think of affecting your choice of a gift would be (1) the shipping to Europe, which is easy to accommodate by choosing something small and easy to pack (a little vase? a tablecloth?) and (2) perhaps that it is a second marriage, especially if you gave her gift for her first marriage.

If you decide to give cash, no one can tell you how much. Consider your resources and how close you are to the couple and decide what feels comfortable.

I like ashton's suggestion of a contribution to your alma mater in their honor.

o

p.s. -
You can also send any gift (or have the store or internet site send it) to their home. That's what guests are supposed to do anyway, not bring gifts to the wedding -- which is a security and transportation nuisance even for local couples. It will cost a bit more to send it to Europe, but the same principle applies.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wedding Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here