Return to the Wedding Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wording of Invitation

Posted by craftyjules (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 10, 06 at 16:11

I am having a beach wedding and am looking for some unique wording for the invitation. We (B&G) will be paying for the wedding, so none of that stuff that goes in the traditional wedding invitation. I want something like: "You are invited to where the surf meets the sand..." and from there I can't figure out anything to go with it. Can someone with a creative mind help me out here?!?!?! Thanks in advance!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wording of Invitation

Just please, please be sure that the invitation is CLEAR. I have gotten invitations that were so "creatively" worded that I couldn't figure out to what I was being invited. Make sure your guests know you are inviting them to see you get married, not just to watch the surf meet the sand or "begin your new life together" or "celebrate your love" or something like that -- without having to read the invitation 3 times. YOU know it's a wedding, but a reader might wonder if it's just a reception or engagement party or something.

You could have it both ways, actually. Have whatever you want about surf and sand at the top, perhaps in a larger and "beachier" font, and then follow with the details (xxxx surf meets the sand xxxx/ [space] / Please join us as we are married / date / time / place / Jane Doe and John Roe

Congratulations!

o

Thanks a bunch. I really appreciate what you have had to say. I just want to be creative but still get the correct message across.

o

Surf and Sand is a menu item here. It means a plate with steak and shrimp or scallops or lobster. So try to avoid triggering that picture in the reader's mind.

o

I made some invitations for a friend and she loved them. Maybe something like this:

As unique as a flower,
As deep as the sea,
As eternal as the sky,
Our love was meant to be.

Ms. ABC
&
Mr. XYZ
invite you to share in our happiness
as we begin our new life together.

Friday, May 20, 2005
at 4pm

Where the Sand Meets the Sea
Lori Wilson Park
Cocoa Beach, FL

Reception immediately following

o

I like bananarama's wording very much, except for "as we begin our new life together." As a guest, I would wonder if this means the wedding ceremony or just a reception or what? And believe me, it makes a difference -- if it's for the actual wedding, I'll be there right on time, but not if it's just a party. What is wrong with "as we are married" or "at our wedding" instead? What does "as we begin our new life together" add? Certainly not "uniqueness" -- I should think that is true of EVERY couple getting married.

o

Ouch Gellchom...pretty harsh.

o

I apologize. I didn't mean to be harsh. I guess I am just a little concerned about craftyjules's unintentionally setting herself and/or her guests up for some problems.

As a guest, I really need to know exactly what it is I am being invited to attend. Do I dress for a religious ceremony or a cocktail party? Do I arrive prior to or 10 minutes after the start time? Am I figuring on the time frame for ceremony and reception, or just one or the other?

I think that people sometimes avoid the words "wedding" or "marriage" because they think the traditional forms are boring and want their invitations to be unique. They forget that their invitations will be completely unique anyway -- take whatever wording seems too boring to you and plug in YOUR NAMES and you'll see what I mean. No wording in the world can beat that for POW! factor.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wedding Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here