Return to the Wedding Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
gift ideas for 75 year old father-in-law's marriage

Posted by creamgogo (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 25, 06 at 13:43

what do you buy for a gift for an older couple's wedding. want it to be special, as it is my FIL. but I am stumped. thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: gift ideas for 75 year old father-in-law's marriage

How about a gift certificate for something they would like to do...dinner in a fine restaurant, tickets to a play or movie along with it. If it's hard for the newlyweds to get out, offer to take them somewhere.

o

It is likely that they don't need "stuff". But, it is also likely that they would appreciate something to acknowledge the event. Hard spot! If they are still very active and get around by themselves it would be great to get tickets to a play or concert (just carefully select!). Dinner to a fine restaurant would also be a great gift. If they golf, a pass to a great course might fit the bill. If they don't get out and about very well, how about a visiting chef to prepare a special dinner at their own home?

I know some "young" 70's and some "old" 40's. So, you need to consider the activity level of the couple.

o

matching sterling-silver charms they can hang on their key rings?

Blueprint magazine had a great story on charms (like from a charm bracelet)--there are apparently thousands of really unusual ones. If they have a great story about how they met, or things they both like, you might be able to find something fun.

Some other small "token" item like that?

And, even though their households have been well-established, they might be able to use something new version of a useful thing (like a Dualit toaster, LOL), or fresh version of a beautiful thing (like a crystal vase).

o

A beautifully framed photo of the bride or bride and groom in the hopes that he and she will put away any other pictures of a fomer spouse to help make the new husband or wife feel it is his or her home too. Or a gift certificate to Home Depot for the fixing up the new bride may want to do.

o

thanks to all!i think i've decided to do them all to some extent!

a

o

www.heritagemakers.com/204274
create a storybook of how they met...

I just finished my wedding storybook...if you want to see what I did for it go to that site..click on browse product gallery...search and enter account id: 204274..it says keller wedding...I did how we met, things we enjoyed, the engagement, decorating/rehearsal and the wedding...but you can create a book on each of them in their childhood..story of how they met, what their fondest moments are etc...what a great thing to hand down through the generations later on!

o

I love callmerae's idea. If you are not as talented as she seems to be (I certainly am not!) or don't have the necessary souvenirs or information, perhaps a beautiful photo album or picture frame for wedding photos. If they aren't planning on a photographer, then a portrait sitting would be a great gift.

If they are taking a honeymoon, maybe get them some new luggage, or something appropriate to the destination (sunglasses? ski mask? passport holder?).

o

I also thought, what about something beautiful for their new home--a really lovely clock, or something, that would be theirs together, and a nice addition to their decor? Clocks seem like something that wouldn't be too hard to get the style right.

o

I recently went to the wedding of my 71 year old neighbor. Both the bride and groom had grown children and grandchildren and they present them with a framed portrait of all the children, spouses and grandchildren.

It was the hit of the wedding!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wedding Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here