Return to the Wedding Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mom & Son song

Posted by dian57 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 25, 04 at 5:48

I may have asked this here already but my son asked me again and I know I'm stalling. I need a song recommendation for the mother/son dance. What song played or will be played at your wedding?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mom & Son song

There is a CD put out by Hallmark that is called "A Mother's Heart", it has some great songs.
Boo

o

Josh Groban "You Raised me UP"

o

My husband danced with his mom to I hope you dance by Leann Womack.

o

My husband and his mother danced to "A Song For Mama" by Boyz II Men. My husband started crying about halfway through the song and by the end, I think everyone in the building had a tear in their eye.

GoodLuck!! Springbride04

o

First post on this forum. I'm the future Groom's mom (does that make me a MOG?)

My future DIL asked me what song we should use... who picks the song?
I would love... Louis Armstrong's What a Wonderful World.

The first dance and father/daughter dance might be country songs... so I Hope You Dance by L. Womack might be a better idea!

I'm looking forward to sharing ideas with this forum. The wedding is in Aug. 2005. Thanks for letting me 'butt in' :)

~Wendy

o

I like the Boyz song "Mama", but I was hesitatant about suggesting it because of the words (sorry springbride - please don't take offence). I just found it a little heavy going, singing about how his Mom is the only woman in his life, his queen etc - which is great an all, but what about the woman he just married..??
Boo

o

I'm looking for an upbeat kind of song.

My younger son was killed in a car accident 3 years ago. I'm not going to need a semtimental song to have me crying at his brother's wedding. I was hoping something light and cute (and maybe a little medication) would keep me from becoming a spectacle on the dancefloor.

Someone I know suggested Shall We Dance from The King and I. Not what I'll choose, but it really appeals to me.

Any happier songs out there?

o

Are there any songs the 2 of you listened to while he was growing up that were special to you or he? I've got a 19 year old son and we used to love Sweet Child of Mine by Guns & Roses. For the 2 of us it brings back memories driving in the car, both of us singing it. It's funny that he'll be listening to the radio on his birthday & it comes on.

I just did a google search for Mom & Son song- of course your post came up 1st, but it looks like there are other hits as well.

o

I can't remember the name of song that DS & I danced to at his wedding, but it was something about how much weddings cost...LOL...that might be the "upbeat" feel you're looking for...I'll ask DS what the name of the song was.

o

Found this list... might give you some ideas.

Here is a link that might be useful: Parent Dance

o

I don't think it needs to be a song about mothers and/or sons. I would a choose a song you both like or has a happy memory and that is the kind (rock? foxtrot?) you want to dance to.

If it were my son, I'd pick -- don't laugh -- "Take Me Out to the Ball Game," because we both love baseball, it's happy and "us," it's easy to dance to (did you ever notice that it's a waltz?)-- and it's SHORT.

o

I love the old tunes from my teen years. How about a song from your teen era? I guess your name is Diane, and I do believe there is a song called "Diane" from back then. Do not remember it. Saw some old time '50s and '60s music on PBS last night and loved the whole show. Those are fun, upbeat songs that get everyone tapping their feet and smiling.

o

That's what I'm looking for, something light and maybe a little unexpected. I'm hoping to laugh out there, rather than sob.

I suggested C'est la Vie (the Pulp Fiction dance) to DH and, to his credit, he didn't immediately say it was crazy. He said, "You two may need to practice that one first."

o

Boo

I agree!! HOWEVER the song is very dear to my husband and his mother. It just seemed to fit in our situation.

o

I'm a little late getting back to this thread with the name of the song that DS & I danced to...

It was Brad Paisley's "All You Really Need Is Love"...

The title sounds sentimental, but the lyrics are humorous

Here is a link that might be useful: All You Really Need Is Love

o

Hi there,

I was researching a related question and found an answer you may not have thought of. Some years ago, a female songwriter and mother of sons wrote a song 'A Song for My Son' which (according to her website) became sort of an unoffical First Dance Song for Mother and Son.

I haven't heard the song in a while and it might not be what you're looking for, but the link is below.

Here is a link that might be useful: New Wedding Traditions - Song for My Son

o

jpdebi--funny you should mention that song. I came across the same website when I googled for songs. I ordered it. It's nice. Nothing particularly special, just nice. Kind of bland. I'll probably give him the CD but I'll keep looking for a song.

That Brad Paisley song is a definate maybe, Grace. I downloaded it from Napster (yes, I paid my 99 cents) and the more I listen to it, the better I like it.

o

how about MC hammer(can't touch this)???Thats an up beat song.

o

I went to a friend's son's wedding a few weeks ago. We discussed this dilemma between us--we couldn't even talk about it without crying! She ended up with the Boyz to Men song and got through quite graciously. She said she ignored the lyrics and her son told her jokes through the whole song.

The DJ put his foot down, I need a song by Friday.

Any more suggestions?

o

I *love* your idea, Gellchom!

Dianne, I think that "Shall We Dance" would be wonderful. Upbeat, as you'd like, and so fun to dance to.

You could also do a version of a childhood song, such as "You are my Sunshine" or "Over the Rainbow."

Good luck - so much to choose from, so little time.

o

I'm going with I Hope You Dance because I'm resigned to the fact that I'll be crying no matter what I choose and I really like the lyrics to this one.

My 14 year old niece will be singing it. She has a beautiful voice and is excited to be included in the wedding this way.

Wish me luck!

o

My Fiancee and his mother will be dancing together at the same time my father and I will have our dance (neither my fiancee or I enjoy being in the spotlight so we thought this would help avoid that situation). It was very difficult to come up with a song that was appropriate for both but we've decided on Faith Hill's "There You'll Be" from the Pearl Harbor soundtrack....

o

I was so surprised to see this old post of mine resurrected yesterday.

I got through the song just fine, the anticipation was much worse than the moment. The wedding went beautifully and we all had a great time. The kids just celebrated their first anniversary and 8 days later gave us our first grandchild!
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

o

Congratulations, Dian57! Thanks for sharing how it went and the precious little bundle, your grandchild.

o

Congratulations!!! What a cutie!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wedding Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here