Return to the Wedding Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I just got back from the best wedding!

Posted by scarlett2001 (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 14, 14 at 2:16

Wow, I thought I had seen it all, but this was so great!
The venue was an old farm, the barn has been made into a reception hall, theme is kind of vintage, rustic, very informal, yet stylish.

We signed in by finding our name on a vintage school blackboard and taking a "selfie" with an instamatic camera. The photo and name tag were our table assignments. There was a really large yard/meadow next to the barn, with Victorian settees, armchairs and vintage patio tables/chair, lots of wildflowers growing and rustic watering cans, etc with flowers In them, not like arrangements, but as if somebody had just picked them freshly.

We walked down a path, past a vegetable garden to another grassy area, where the chairs had been set up, facing two tall shady trees. Hanging from the trees, were long dangles
of crystal catching the afternoon sunbeams and some rustic chandeliers with candles, That was all the decorations, except for various colors of rose petals on the bridal aisle.

The end chairs had pretty paper bags of lavender buds to throw after the wedding.

Cocktail hour was back up in the meadow with the settees and armchairs. Now there were large wine barrels supporting tables with all the different cocktail foods, decorated with grapevine leaves and fruit and sunflowers. Bar was the same.

After the cocktail hour, the barn was opened and we saw many antique tables, mismatched lace table clothes, silver, china, etc. and colorful flowers in all kinds of containers. The ceiling was festooned with white lights and every table had candelabra and real candles. Everything was mismatched, no formality at all.

After dinner, it was twilight and we had fire-pits outside, tons of white sparkle lights and a long table with cake and huge bowls of home made ice cream and every topping imaginable, self served.

Dancing, a huge full moon and a sparkler farewell capped the evening - just perfect

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I just got back from the best wedding!

You did a great job describing it. I just LOVE the sound of it. I can really picture being there and what an enchanting time everyone must have had. I can't think of one thing to change or improve upon. Whoever planned it did a fabulous job. :-)

o

How was the actual wedding ceremony? I'm an officiant, and I'm always curious to hear about the ceremony, but most people describe just about everything else. Thanks.

o

Curious if this was in CT? It sounds very much like my son's wedding venue two years ago.

o

It was in Oxnard, CA.

The officiant was not clergy, the vows were self-written by the bride and groom, so not any type of religious wedding. Each of the mothers read an inspirational piece, but again not Scriptural.

o

Thanks. I primarily perform secular (non-religious) weddings, so I like to hear when the ceremony is very personal to the participants. Thanks again.

o

It sounds heavenly! I wish I'd been there.

Thanks for taking the time to describe it for us.

What did you wear? :)

o

What did I wear? I wasn't in the wedding. Did you mean what did the bride wear? She had a white gown, but not overly formal. It was of a more summer-weight material than silk or satin, long, off the shoulder.

o

No, I meant you! :) It's fun to dress for a beautiful wedding.

o

The weather as warm, so I wore a blue light-weight dress and matching jacket and a BIG sun hat- got to keep my face in the shade.

DH forgot his suit, dress shirt, shoes, etc. and arrived in town with nothing but shorts and a golf shirt! Luckily, we were early and there were some nice stores nearby, so he got dress slacks and a shirt, which was pretty much what the other men were wearing. The suit he left at home would have been too dressy for this informal wedding.

o

The weather as warm, so I wore a blue light-weight dress and matching jacket and a BIG sun hat- got to keep my face in the shade.

DH forgot his suit, dress shirt, shoes, etc. and arrived in town with nothing but shorts and a golf shirt! Luckily, we were early and there were some nice stores nearby, so he got dress slacks and a shirt, which was pretty much what the other men were wearing. The suit he left at home would have been too dressy for this informal wedding.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wedding Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here