Return to the Wedding Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Who pays for reception hall for rehearsal dinner?

Posted by maryann_al (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 5, 08 at 16:30

I'm the mother of the bride and we are renting a church and the church's fellowship hall for the reception. They are priced separately. The price of the church includes the rehearsal the night before, but there would be an extra charge of $200.00 to rent the fellowship hall for the rehearsal dinner. Who would be responsible for this charge, the brides family or the groom's family since they would be furnishing the rehearsal dinner?

There's so many small details. I don't know if I'll make without having a breakdown!

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Who pays for reception hall for rehearsal dinner?

Maryann, you're going to run into trouble if you try to answer this question by trying to find some sort of "rule" for "who pays" in this very specific set of circumstances. Of course, there is no such rule.

The basic "rule" for "who pays" for anything is that hosts pay for the parties they host. But even that has loads of exceptions and variations; often, especially at big events like weddings, others chip in, either dollar amounts or specific items (bar, flowers, etc.).

In this case, it sounds to me like this would be an expense that the hosts of the dinner -- the groom's family, you say -- would pay. But I sure wouldn't surprise them with a bill. I would just tell them something like, "I know you are planning to host a dinner after the rehearsal, and I thought you might want to know that the church fellowship hall is available for $200, if that's where you'd like to have it."

If the problem is that you already know that they are planning to have the dinner there, and you suspect they think it's free (maybe all of you assumed so), then you will need to be very tactful. Something like, "Muriel and Jethro, I just found out that although the fellowship hall at the church is available for your dinner, they will charge $200. I'm so sorry for any confusion. Do you still want to have it there?" or whatever fits your facts.

If you have a great relationship with them, no problem, but if not, it might be easier to do this by e-mail or via the kids.

Good luck!

o
RE: Who pays for reception hall for rehearsal dinner?

Great response by gellchom (as usual).

I think her suggestions are a perfect way to avoid problems with the future in-laws.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wedding Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here