Return to the Wedding Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Color for the flower girl dress

Posted by oeltjen (My Page) on
Sat, Jun 12, 04 at 12:14

My daughters wedding is in September-her bridesmaids will be wearing dark red gowns (not burgandy). I am trying to figure out what color to make the flower girl gown, as I dont want her to look like a little bride in all white too. I am including the link so you can see the style of dress. I love the over skirt and gauntlets, but not sure if it would be too much. Any ideas surely appreciated!

http://www.simplicity.com/designFrame.cfm?designId=9861&design=8953

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Color for the flower girl dress

Possibly make the under dress in the dark red, and the overskirt in a pale pink? I know "people" say you can't mix red and pink - but I've never believed them. It's one of my favorite combinations.

A dark pink under dress and white overskirt would also work.

o
Finally! Someone agrees with me!

Hi, oeltjen! I also hate when the flower girls look like mini-brides! WHAT is the point and who's the bride, anyway?! Our DD is also getting married in September! May I suggest a very small print for the under-dress (the main part), even a very polished cotton with tiny red roses or berries....there are gorgeous prints in small patterns now in dressy fabrics...I'd make the over-flouce in a white organza, with a slight shimmer to it. You could still see the under-skirt thu it. I don't care for the harshmess of red under with white over...seems it would be getting to look a lot like Christmas. A tiny "Laura Ashley" type poly-cotton print would do nicely, I think....easy to find these days, even in Wal-Mart! ;-) Hope that helps! WE have 3 months to go! Time is flying! Our DD's bridesmaids are in taupe satin dresses with burgandy sashes...Hope my suggestion helps!

o

Following on from Glitter's idea, how about the top left or bottom left styles in white with a small red print or even a narrow, mattress-tick type stripe, a red sash and red piping trim around the neck and armholes, and a slightly wider red trim at the hem?
I think the panniers are too fussy and "bride-dressy", and the gauntlets might be an invitation to the flower girl to fidget with them during the ceremony (sorry, I know you said you liked them :-) ).

o

Another option would be to use another jewel toned color in the general color scheme. I can imagine a color scheme of red with gold or purple or blue or chocolate or silver. Then give the accent color to the flower girl.

All in all, I'd ask the flower girl if she likes the overskirt and the gauntlets. She might like them, she might not. The overskirt looks a lot like Disney's Cinderella and Belle. The gauntlets are kinda cool. If she is happy in her gown, it will show in her behavior and pictures. Personally, I wouldn't mind the flower girl fidgeting with the gauntlets. Better, in my mind, for her to fidget focusing on herself than focusing on something or someone else.

o

Oooh, i like the gold idea... jewel tones! with red too!

o

a print might be nice

o

I personally wouldn't want a flower girl looking like a bride either---I feel there needs to be a definite difference between the bride and the others. It's still personal choice. Plus, you want her to look the part and not like she's playing dress-up. I went to your link and thought the dress looked too much like a little bride too---beautiful little dress though! There were 2 or 3 other illustrations of that basic dress (without over skirt and gauntlets) to the left of the picture. My daughter chose a basic style like that for her flower girl---she didn't want anything too fussy. It was short sleeved (softly capped), plain round neckline, with a matching satin, wide ribbon sash that tied at the waist. She found it locally and the store ordered it. (I believe the brand was called "Little Angels") Now... she wanted her flower girl's dress to be the same color and fabric as her gown, but not to look like a little bride. She had first chosen a bridal gown of silk duchesse satin in ivory and was then very lucky to find what she had in mind for the little girl. She had decided early on that she wanted her bridesmaids in simple long, black shantung silk dresses with bouquets of very dark red roses. They were dark alright, but beautiful and the perfect choice for this black with ivory bride's wedding---brighter red would have been too harsh with the black dresses. (they were called "Black Magic") We had looked at soooooo many bridal magazines and I'm sure you guys have as well----you just can't help it! I'm sure you've seen pictures of real weddings in these bridal magazines. I saw a picture of a bride and her maids that was so stunning, then looked again and the bridesmaids dresses were all white too (or ivory BUT totally different style from the bride's). That wouldn't be my personal choice but it WAS beautiful. Who'da thunk! Your daughter will be beautiful as will her maids AND the flower girl. I wish you well. It's a lot to take on but a very fun, special and precious time with your daughter. (When shopping we happened to see a very dark red bridesmaid's dress on display and we both just stopped---the color was stunning. And a Vera Wang---$$$$$$. We could only look, but it was fun then we had to get back to reality)

o

I agree with Glitter and ColleenOZ. I think a cute print (I can picture the kind from walmart) with red piping detail would be perfect. I personally am not such a fan of stripes...but that could just be me.

By the way, I love the pattern (without the overskirt and the gautlets). If I can't get the dress that I want maybe I'll get that pattern and make the dress.

o

Hi,

First of all is that your link is broken. So come back to check it again.
I suggest the gold-ish dress with some dark red wide lines.
How you think about it?

o

Yes!! Just forget the white! Dark red is ok!

o

In my opinion, gold flower girl dress is perfect.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wedding Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here