Return to the Wedding Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Guest Lodging... How?

Posted by Leisu (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 7, 04 at 10:31

My wedding is going to be on a River Boat type thing, rented out for just the wedding (it's not huge, just about for 100 people).

The close family and a few friends are coming up to cottages I rented on the Lake, and we are all going to stay near/with one another so that our families can meet and play together etc.

What I'm wondering about is the other family members who may drive up for the wedding, am I supposed to pre-book hotel rooms? I don't want them to fill up so that they can't find lodging.... does anybody have a suggestion for this??? TIA!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Guest Lodging... How?

The typical way to do it is to call the hotels you are interested in and ask for a "wedding block," or a block of rooms that they will hold for your wedding guests, usually at a slightly reduced rate, until a certain date - for my hotels it was until two weeks prior to the wedding, but I'm guessing it varies depending on the market for hotel rooms in the area.

They shouldn't make you give a credit card number to book the rooms, since you won't want to pay for anything that doesn't get taken. But if they do ask for a cc number, be sure that you will be well within a cancellation policy so you won't get stuck paying for anything.

Then you can include a note in the invitations, save-the-dates, and/or a wedding website if you make one, with the phone number of the hotels, the code for the discount if they give you one, and the deadline for making reservations. Anyone who doesn't make their reservations by the deadline is on their own.

Call around to some different hotels and see what kind of rates you can get. Don't be afraid to negotiate for a better rate and/or better terms. I was suprised to get a MUCH better rate from one hotel than from a practically identical one across the street.

Usually it is a good idea to block rooms at two or three different places, so you can give high- and low-priced options. Although some hotels have lots of rooms at different price points.

Good luck.

o
RE: Guest Lodging... How?

Thanks so much!!!! That is exactly what I needed to know!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Wedding Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here