SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
linda117117

Boiling Mad, how to handle?

Linda
16 years ago

My SIL has been living with a guy for 10 years. He has a son who will be getting married at the end of June. My DH and I were invited to this wedding, even though we really have no relationship with his son,we basically felt like we were invited for the "cash". We've seen him at birthday parties and Thanksgiving if its at their house, but he doesnt come to family functions if they are at other relatives houses etc. My SIL expects the family to treat this kid like we treat her two boys. Sorry, I can't do that, I have relationships with them, they are family to me, they act like family. This kid doesnt even say hello unless you say it to him first. Anyway, we are unable to attend the wedding. She had called about a week before the response card was due and we had told her we wouldnt be able to make it. I admit, I was late in sending back the response card, it came without a SASE and I just never seem to remember to go to the Post Office. Anyway,a day after the response card was due, my SIL calls and asks if we are going to the wedding. Again, I said, No, Diane, I told you we would be unable to make it. Now this gets me and I had to rush her off the phone before I exploded, she says, so if you arent going, ARE YOU GOING TO SEND SOMETHING?

Please give your honest opinions on how you would handle this. I NEVER give gifts for weddings, and always give money. But this time I really feel like sending a gift of something useless like a platter or a coffee pot or something. (They dont drink coffee).

What does everyone think?

Comments (19)